• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Dried Plums Vs. Prunes: Which Do You Prefer?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:53 AM

Karon Thackston (Copywriter here on the forum) hits another home run with this interesting article on how the Prune industry is obviously rebranding to become the Dried Plum industry!

Since they're targeting a new audience segment, their copy has to change accordingly.

Read Karon's thoughts here:

Dried Plums vs. Prunes: Which Do You Prefer?

QUOTE(Article Snippet)
Never thought about it? Let’s take a minute to evaluate this question then. Prunes are for old people who have trouble “going.” Prunes are shriveled and sticky and they have a funny taste.

Dried plums, on the other hand, are sweet and chewy. They are trendy like dried apricots or blueberries.

#2 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:01 PM

What do you prefer Raisins, Currants or Sultanas?

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:54 PM

A few thoughts about the immediate subject rather than the general subject of naming and branding:

Are people now going to decide they've spent too much time in the bath when their skin turns "dried plummy"?

The French word for grape is "raisin". They call raisins "raisins sec" -- dried grapes.

Can you think of a food other than plums and grapes that has a different name when it's dried (that is, other than dried _____ or dehydrated _____)?

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

Uhmm.... "meat" and "jerky"? dntknw.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:04 PM

No, jerky doesn't count because beef becomes beef jerky, turkey becomes turkey jerky ("jurkey?"), etc. The person who first asked me actually had an answer, but I don't know if it's really any better than jerky.

#6 bwelford

bwelford

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:11 AM

What about kippers?

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:49 AM

Ah, I hadn't thought of that. I think that's a good one. The friend who first asked me claimed pemmican was a good answer, but I'm not so sure.

And on that note, I'll shut up and let people actually discuss Karon's article.

#8 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:56 AM

and how about Guana lol.gif

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

You guys are so immature!

Nobody has any comments about the article?

#10 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:52 AM

Mislayed your sense of humour today Jill?

To be honest, I don't like prunes and couldn't care what they call them. No stupid marketing campaign or renaming gimmick is going to change that fact!

You have to be Klingon to like Prunes don't you?

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:42 PM

Mislayed your sense of humour today Jill?

No, I just forgot to put a winky wink1.gif next to my comment. lol.gif

#12 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:00 PM

Well, it's still an excellent article.

Everybody needs to revisit how they've positioned their brand every few years IMHO. If for no other reason than to make sure they haven't lost sight in how they've been promoting it, but of course also to see if any rebranding needs to be considered.

I for one can tell you that after you've had a site or business for several years you can easily lose sight and connection with your original brand if you're not careful. Not all of those little changes and tweaks you make over the years will support your brand image as well as they could. At which point you either need to changes those messages so that you stop confusing visitors, or tweak your brand so that it matches the new marketing message.

Sending mixed messages to potential customers does adversely affect conversions. This is simply a fact. That's why for the last couple of years I've made this sort of big picture examination part of the maintenance process I take on for each of my sites. I can't get to all of 'em every year, but it seems to work out okay to do it on a two or three year cycle.

Since I started doing it I'm amazed as I revisit some of my sites each year and see just how much the marketing message has changed from the original brand I had in mind when the site was new.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

Everybody needs to revisit how they've positioned their brand every few years IMHO. If for no other reason than to make sure they haven't lost sight in how they've been promoting it, but of course also to see if any rebranding needs to be considered.

Yes, very good point. We have been making a point of revisiting all the pages of our site every few months. It's funny how you can incrementally change how you do things without really realizing it. Always good to make sure your messaging on your website is in line with what you say on the phone or what you write elsewhere. It is surprising how often they're not!

#14 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

Yup. Been there, done that Jill. Too often. lol.gif

You'd think by now I'd know better...

It's also why I find it extremely helpful to keep notes about sites as I develop them and during subsequent marketing. It makes it much easier to get back to the original brand and marketing message after all of those incremental changes have washed them away. Assuming of course the original message was correct and the market hasn't shifted.

#15 madams

madams

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:46 PM

Dried Plums - Prunes Debate

I guess it´s a bit like calling you guys "Admin" biggrin.gif

Much better than "Moderator" ninja.gif

Sounds much softer and less aggressive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic