• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Rss News Feeds

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,927 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:48 PM

What exactly is it that you disagree with me about?

#17 Anthony Hereld

Anthony Hereld

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jan 30 2009, 11:34 AM) View Post
Neither has anything to do with SEO. It's a marketing decision based on whether you prefer that people have to click through to your site to read the entire article (so you can get them to other things there) or whether your comfortable providing them with the entire article so they don't have to click through.

QUOTE(Jill @ Jan 31 2009, 10:35 AM) View Post
IMO, it's a marketing tactic.

After reading what you've written, Jill, I think it's less of a disagreement than it is an expansion of what you've said.

I understand the point of RSS feeds being a marketing tool, because it is. I suppose my argument is that it's more than that. It's a link, a second home page if you will. RSS feeds can be configured to contain the same social media linking power that web pages can, and can also feature targeted advertising efforts with services like Feedvertising.

If a site owns its RSS feed vs. having it with a service like FeedBurner, additional opportunities present themselves, just like any other link would.

#18 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,927 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

But do those links count for SEO, that is, to increase rankings directly due from link popularity?

If not, then it's marketing, not SEO.

#19 Anthony Hereld

Anthony Hereld

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Feb 4 2009, 04:12 PM) View Post
But do those links count for SEO, that is, to increase rankings directly due from link popularity?

If not, then it's marketing, not SEO.

Mhmm, I see what you're saying.

Let's say that 100 sites have linked to your RSS feed link. Does that hold the same weight as 100 normal links to your home page? No, probably not. Especially if the feed is hosted by FeedBurner. But if your feed is self-hosted (mysite.com/rssfeed) then I don't see why it wouldn't count for something.

#20 Gerry White

Gerry White

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:43 AM

Two things -

- I have just started working for a company that primarily produces news feeds (unique original tailored to the client etc..), and often clients have the news feed picked up and re-published on other sites, usually giving them deep links back into the site - I am hoping that these have value in themselves(?) especially if they are linking directly to the article with or without a snippet (as opposed to reproducing it all on your site)

- We also produce and manage our own sites and so I was in the middle of creating iGoogle buttons (add to Google), and I was thinking about using FeedBurner - who has done this and would this have negative impact on SEO? I was also thinking of tagging up the RSS feed to include analytics parameters to see how much traffic comes out of it ... again, I am a believer in not doing that if it negatively effects seo...

Thoughts?

Gerry White

#21 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,927 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

I was also thinking of tagging up the RSS feed to include analytics parameters to see how much traffic comes out of it ... again, I am a believer in not doing that if it negatively effects seo...

If you tag the URLs, you're creating a different URL for the same content, which could split your link popularity and Google PageRank. Fine to do, but you might want to look at Google's new Canonical Link Element and add it to the header of the page.

#22 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,596 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

Gerry, I can't offhand think of a reason why using Feedburner per se would have a negative impact on SEO (if I understand what you're asking). But if it's still a concern, you could always use their "MyBrand" option to make the feeds appear to be coming still from your domain even though they're actually running through Feedburner.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#23 Gerry White

Gerry White

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:12 AM

Thanks Torka / Jill ...

Yes, I didn't think of the Canonical for that, good point and I never thought of it for combatting analytics tagging up of links ...!
Torka, I didn't know about that... I didn't think there was any problem with feedburner, its just something I don't know about ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!