• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

No Info=no Sale

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:38 PM

Good article by Heather Lloyd Martin on why you can never have too much information on your website.

No info=no sale

QUOTE(Article Snippet)
When it comes to the sales process, the Web is a weird and wonderful place. Doing in-depth vendor research is as simple as a few Google searches - and researching a consumer product is easier than ever. Like it or not, people are conditioned to start their research online - and then move it offline if (and only if) it suits them. If your Website doesnít immediately answer their questions, you canít assume that people will call you for information. In fact, a non-informational site runs the risk of making the prospect so frustrated that they choose to walk away rather than contact you.

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

This is absolutely true. When I wrote the product descriptions on my employer's website, they came out generally to between 800 and over 1,100 words each, because that's what it took to tell the whole story. And those pages convert like gangbusters and generate very few product returns. I think it's because the customers feel before they order they already understand what the product is and what it's supposed to do, they know the product specs and their expectations about what the product can accomplish have been set properly. I don't think our site would do as well as it does without including all that information to make customers feel comfortable that they understand our product before ordering.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:41 PM

Yep, absolutely, Torka. I think it really helps with the High Rankings services section of the site too. At least for those that are willing to take the time to read through stuff. (There will always be those that just want to call without reading anything...which are always...umm...let's say a "challenge"!)

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:57 AM

LOL! Yes, the "challenges." Gotta love the "challenges." And yet, if they've got money to spend, I figure it's my job to get them to spend that money with us instead of our competitors. smile.gif

Of course, there are some who just won't read anything, no matter what. Or who can apparently read, but whose comprehension skills are clearly lacking. There's not much to be done about them, unfortunately. But sometimes it's just people who are in a hurry, or who are a personality type that prefers to make quick decisions, not spend a lot of time pondering their choices.

For those folks (and to try to catch as many of the non-readers as I can), I put a section right at the top of each product page. Three to five bullet points highlighting important benefits, with short sentences citing specific features as support for each benefit. I call it the product "At a Glance." The idea is for this section to display above the fold and give quick top-level info. The idea was inspired by the "Just the facts, M'am" feature listing product descriptions I see on a lot of websites, but with more emphasis on the benefits, with the features taking a supporting role.

If that "At a Glance" section meets their informational needs, they can go ahead and order without having to wade through the rest of the page. If instead of reading they prefer to call or email for answers to specific questions, we've got a "contact us" link prominently included in several places on each page.

And for those who want more info, all they have to do is keep reading, because below the "At a Glance" section lurks all the rest of the explanatory text. Yes, it covers some of the same ground as the "At a Glance" bullet points, but arranged a bit differently, including additional secondary features and benefits and going into a lot more depth.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!