• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Improve Rankings

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 seoisgod

seoisgod

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:06 PM

Hey guys,

Since starting our website in april 2007 and slowely optimising the site we have very quickly moved up the rankings in google however I seem to have hit a bit of a dip and cant seem to get my site any higher than they currently are.

Ive been racking my brains trying to think what i can do to trya nd help move us up that extra few positions we need.

This is what I have hdone and I wonder if any one can advise on something else to maybe try?

I know I cant use a link here to an example page so will have to try and describe what I currently have.

Ok ill try and explain a typical product page on my site and will work from top to bottom.

Page Meta Title Tag: Products name & model number eg... Morso Squirrel 1430 Woodburning/Multifuel Stove | Morso Stoves
Product Meta Description: More keywords here eg..Morso Squirrel 1430 Woodburning/Multifuel Stove, Morso Stoves
Meta Tag Keywords: Keywords for product eg....Morso Squirrel 1430 Woodburning/Multifuel Stove, Morso Stoves

Online page optimisation..........

Title Tag: Morso Squirrel 1430 Woodburning/Multifuel Stove (These are H1 tags)
Product Image I have added tags to the image so when you hover mouse you see Morso Squirrel 1430 Woodburning/Multifuel Stove
H2 Title Tag Morso Squirrel Cleanheat 1430 Product Description <--- use a tag in h2
Product Description Details about the product using standard text
H2 Title Tag Morso Squirrel 1430 Cleanheat Specifications: (again trying to use the main keywords again)
Product Specifications Product specifications in standard text

Then after this there is a small "what we think of the stove" where our mascot explains our views on the stove and again has the main keywords in there.

Using this method I have been able to get many of our products show anywhere between position 1 & 15.

I was coming in at around 30's & 40's at one time and since adding the H1 & H2 tags system I found this layout gave me better rankings and has helped but I need to get another kick up the bum and am just wondering if anyone can spot anything I may have missed or could do better?

Cheers

Dean

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,120 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

You've only talked about your on page optimization. That can only get you so far. It's time to build links to those pages if you want them to do better.

#3 seoisgod

seoisgod

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:56 PM

Hi Jill

thank you for the reply.

Yes that was my next question should the you think ive done everything correctly and possible to help rank high etc on the pages.

My next question was does it then come down to page rank of deeper pages and amount of links pointing to them.

Regards,

Dean

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,120 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:29 PM

Well there's your whole internal site architecture too and the internal link popularity you're giving to those pages.

#5 seoisgod

seoisgod

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:51 AM

Hi jill,

Yes I understand what you mean by the passing of ranking through by links that go deeper, I have put a list in H tags on the right called "most popular in stock items" and listed some of the main products i want to do well on in that list.

But with me selling over 100 odd products I cant list them all.

Another site that does well for its individual product pages has tried another tactic that seems to have worked (well i assume it has)

I have uploaded a screenshot of the bottom of their index page. Would this be ok to do? to try and get some love spread out between the deeper pages biggrin.gif

Theres is simply a box full of links to product pages, its a bit messy and am wondering if it could be seen as bad? they rank well so im assuming no and its been going for 5/6 years compared to us 18 months.

If you say its bad cos its mumbo jumbo, what about if I put header for each manufactuers so when google reads it, it will not just read as a bunch of links but some sort of categorized link section?

I look forward to your thoughts and expertise.

Cheers

Dean

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,715 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:10 AM

If you link every page from the home page, you're giving each one an equal share of the home page's "link juice."

Also, you will only be giving each page a small portion of the "link juice" (because there will be so many links coming off the page). This means you may be short-changing some pages that need more of a boost to move up, and "over boosting" other pages that would already do well even without the additional help.

I would suggest figuring out which phrases you're optimizing for that are more competitive, and linking to those pages. Typically, you'll find these would be your category pages as they are usually focused on more general, higher-level phrases ("Woodburning/Multifuel Stoves" for instance).

If you have a product-level term that turns out to be highly competitive -- perhaps for some reason a lot of people are optimizing for "Morso Squirrel Cleanheat 1430" -- you can include an ongoing direct link from the home page for that product page as a "featured" or "popular" product.

But I suspect most of your specific product-level phrases aren't going to be all that competitive, so those pages should be able to do fine with links from only your category pages. And this saves your home page "link juice" for the higher-level pages targeted at more competitive search phrases.

My penny.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#7 jeepster

jeepster

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:01 AM

Hi Torka

I'm a complete newbie to SEO but a quick follow-on question from your point.
I have a collection of links at the foot of my homepage as I guess I'm not allowed to post a link here.
To avoid leaking homepage link juice to the unimportant pages should I simply no-follow some of the links? Or remove them all together?
All advice much appreciated.

#8 Traffic-Bug

Traffic-Bug

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE(jeepster @ Jan 23 2009, 07:01 AM) View Post
I have a collection of links at the foot of my homepage - as I guess I'm not allowed to post a link here.
To avoid leaking homepage link juice to the unimportant pages should I simply no-follow some of the links? Or remove them all together?
All advice much appreciated.

I looked at that site and it seems your scenario is somewhat different from that of the OP. Your links are more like "guide to buying" "partners" etc. What is described by the OP is that he has many products within categories and whether to include product page links or category page links off from the home page. I would say you can keep all those links on the home page. This is not for search engine purposes but for visitor purposes. Real visitors want to see a Contact Us, agent login, advertise with us, etc somewhere visible right in the home page itself. It is better to leave them as DoFollow. If I were the Google crawler I would ignore NoFollow within internal links of the same site, because it is in my best interest to get all the pages on the site indexed. If you wanted some pages not to be indexed at all, then you would be better off omitting them from the sitemap, and using a robots.txt exclusion clause. (But I doubt whether it allows me to do individual page exclusions). Or you can put the NOINDEX meta tag on that page(look up on this)

#9 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:46 AM

fleeto do what Jill and torka has told you. Also, forget about <H> tags doing anything to help. I don't use those tags and get highly ranked. They're just formatting.

Pretty funny is HR is ranked #9 for the title "Morso Squirrel 1430 Woodburning/Multifuel Stove". Is HR beating you at Google?

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,120 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:30 AM

To avoid leaking homepage link juice

No need to worry about leaking link juice - ever. (IMO)

#11 seoisgod

seoisgod

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE(BBCoach @ Jan 23 2009, 04:46 PM) View Post
fleeto do what Jill and torka has told you. Also, forget about <H> tags doing anything to help. I don't use those tags and get highly ranked. They're just formatting.

Pretty funny is HR is ranked #9 for the title "Morso Squirrel 1430 Woodburning/Multifuel Stove". Is HR beating you at Google?

lol no im number 1 smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!