• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Any Point in PPC if You Have Good Organic Ranking?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Amsid

Amsid

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

Hi,

If I am naturally ranking in position two in google for my main keyword, then is there any point in using adwords for that keyword as well? It is not a cheap keyword.

Thanks
Amsid

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:49 PM

If it's very expensive, I probably wouldn't risk it (unless the ad links to a landing page that converts better than the organic listing), but there are studies out there suggesting that being at the top of both organic and paid results is good because it increases your visibility and the majority of searchers click on organic results.

Of course, if your PPC ad doesn't get clicked, it's not going to stay at the top for long.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

I'm right there with Qwerty. It all depends upon the PPC cost, your home page conversion rates and whether you can make a profit when you view it strictly from a cost of acquisition analysis perspective. Some say the dual listings above the fold can improve clickthru's. Heck I've probably said it because I've seen it happen! But if it's an expensive click and your CR is low or your profit margins are slim, it just doesn't make business sense most times.

That said, being one of those nutty conversion testing freaks, I'd probably at least experiment with the idea of running an ad or two and sending traffic to a specific landing page that's not available in the normal navigation of the site. If conversion testing isn't something you've done before I wouldn't start out doing it on the main phrase, and in fact I tend to not do it on the main phrase myself even though I've been tinkering at it for years now. I'd pick something that includes the main phrase and a modifier word, one that gets a decent number of searches, then test both the PPC ad and the landing page against that to see if I can get an idea of what motivations I can tap into.

The moral of the story being that even though I do a lot of conversion testing with pages that can be reached directly from the SERPs or from internal linkage within my sites, I can attest to the fact that it's a lot easier to control several things --most notably Noise factors-- by utilizing PPC to a landing page that cannot be found any other way than the PPC ad. It's just easier, so turns out to be very cheap market research 99 times out of 100.

#4 nethy

nethy

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

Depends how marginal your ROI tends to be.

If you tend to get $120 back from $100 adwords spend, then proceed cautiously. Either leave it or do it & measure closely.
If you tend to get $1,200 back from $100, go nuts. You are unlikely to come out at a loss.

*BTW, that is not all that rare. There are plenty of campaigns out there returning lots per click (especially for certain keywords) with the main bottleneck being getting more traffic, not tweaking ROI.

#5 mcanerin

mcanerin

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:42 PM

I agree with both qwerty and Randy.

Additionally, there are other reasons to use PPC even if you have great organic rankings:
  • Time sensitive offers (like a valentines day sale)
  • Horribly misspelled words (one word can have hundreds of misspellings or typos)
  • The ability to show up on the content network
  • A/B testing for conversions
  • Targetting a specific geographic area even if your site is geolocated elsewhere
  • Keyword research - broad match can give you all sorts of interesting data

Ian

#6 Dave Collins

Dave Collins

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

In short: yes!

1 - If your ad gets clicked, then it's working. Take the ad away, and those clicks will go to your competition.

2 - Just because you rank well when you search for your main keyword, it certainly doesn't mean that everyone will see the same thing. Different countries, languages, browser settings and more can come into play.

3 - What about your other keywords?

4 - Follow Randy's example. Track everything, do it right, and enjoy the results!

#7 rrjnsy89

rrjnsy89

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:11 PM

Id say you must have better things to take care of, just optimize your landing pages that get hit from organic searches, you did the first part, just get on with getting conversions.

#8 RobertW

RobertW

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

Instead of trying to show above the fold for PPC you could set Adwords to only show your ad for positions 5-10. Clicks will be considerably cheaper and you guarantee exposure above and below the fold.

#9 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE(Dave Collins @ Jan 9 2009, 02:31 PM) View Post
1 - If your ad gets clicked, then it's working. Take the ad away, and those clicks will go to your competition.

If its clicked it doesn't mean it work. It just means its cost you money. You have to be getting a good ROI for an ad to work.

QUOTE(Dave Collins @ Jan 9 2009, 02:31 PM) View Post
2 - Just because you rank well when you search for your main keyword, it certainly doesn't mean that everyone will see the same thing. Different countries, languages, browser settings and more can come into play.

Chances are you'll be running the ad in the same country and in the same language anyway. So it doesn't necessarily mean your getting more exposure.

#10 Dave Collins

Dave Collins

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE(Copywriter39 @ Apr 4 2009, 04:33 AM) View Post
If its clicked it doesn't mean it work. It just means its cost you money. You have to be getting a good ROI for an ad to work.

For the purpose of this example, I am assuming that the person managing the account knows how to run one. If not, then of course it won't work.

QUOTE(Copywriter39 @ Apr 4 2009, 04:33 AM) View Post
Chances are you'll be running the ad in the same country and in the same language anyway. So it doesn't necessarily mean your getting more exposure.

It depends on what you're selling. Many people advertise products and services that go far beyond their home country.

#11 Nanzilela Obejane

Nanzilela Obejane

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:13 AM

After much hard yakka my site is now #3 for a key phrase that contributes to 50% of all searches and 75% of my PPC budget. I have a higher than ave CPC for this phrase so that it sits about #2 in the paid section.

I've taken a months results where I reduced my CPC on Google by 2/3 so that the key phrase was no longer at the top but down at the bottom and often on page 2. Number of visits from this key phrase has not changed but remained roughly static over the 2 months.

Google Org - Month prior 18th May 09.43%. Month Post 18th 62%
Google PPC - Month prior 18th May 09. 45%. Month Post 18th 21%
Yahoo Org - Month prior 18th May 09. 4%. Month Post 18th 5%

%'ge 'thru Google has remained static +- 85%

The cost of my PPC bill has plummeted. Even 'tho the positioning of the PPC ad is low people are still finding it and selecting it but over all I am of the opinion that when you are featuring in the top 2-3 organic positions it is feasible to fiddle with the numbers and pay less on advertising for that particular key phrase/word.

Does anyone have contrary figures or opinions- lets hear them.

#12 Bri

Bri

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:41 AM

Heres one more reason!

This was taken from this article... http://www.seochat.c...-Paid-Search/1/

"Top Ranking on Google Organic and Paid Search? - What Google says about top ranking in both organic and paid results
(Page 2 of 4 )

According to Google, 1000 impressions on average will net 10 clicks on a top spot in their Adwords scheme. A top position in organic results will net you 20 clicks per 1000 impressions. Being at the top of both will net an astounding 60 clicks.

Now I don't know about you folks, but I know the difference between 1-2% and 6% when it comes time to deliver reports to clients. This is an absolutely huge piece of information.

So what Google is saying is that you can double your traffic by being at the top of paid and organic results. And they didn't just say it, they sent me a graph in case I didn't believe their sales rep. Here it is;

http://images.devshe...ch/image001.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.