• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Recovering After A Penalty

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nueromancer

Nueromancer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:28 AM

Just done some remiedal work on a site that had been hacked and loads of pron pages uploaded which caused a large drop in traffic.

I have done the obvious stuff removed content blocked it and requested the naughty pages removed and resubmitted to google can any one give me a feel for how long it will take for the bad pages effect to go away ?

Rgds N

#2 Andy LoCascio

Andy LoCascio

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:39 AM

The last time we re-submitted a site through the dashboard...we got a complete crawl within several days...however, do not count on the resubmission to remove the penalty...we are very suspicious of this process and whether it does anything at all...keep an eye on the crawl stats in the dashboard

Andy

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:26 AM

Resubmission may or may not work, depending upon what was done on the site. Really the resubmission itself won't do anything more than letting Google crawl the site again would do.

You may well have to file a Reinclusion request. See Matt Cutts' blog for more on that since he's blogged about it a few times.

#4 Nueromancer

Nueromancer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Nov 19 2008, 02:26 PM) View Post
Resubmission may or may not work, depending upon what was done on the site. Really the resubmission itself won't do anything more than letting Google crawl the site again would do.

You may well have to file a Reinclusion request. See Matt Cutts' blog for more on that since he's blogged about it a few times.

oh bum i meant a Reinclusion request - which I have done

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:22 PM

Be sure that your database is clean and also to change all passwords.

You'll want to be sure that it can't be hacked again. Sometimes the hackers leave backdoors where they can get right back in and do it all over again.

#6 Nueromancer

Nueromancer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 19 2008, 05:22 PM) View Post
Be sure that your database is clean and also to change all passwords.

You'll want to be sure that it can't be hacked again. Sometimes the hackers leave backdoors where they can get right back in and do it all over again.

Ime lucky theres no real database stuff on there - ironicaly one of our own sites had been hacked in a similar way the week before and years a go I found gigabytes of pirated dvds on our main website in a hidden directory.

#7 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:58 PM

Since I've had the pleasure of getting one of my sites deleted from G twice I can tell you two things. First, file the reinclusion and try and talk to someone at G (next to impossible), and second hope it doesn't take more than 6-9 months to return. In your case, it might be sooner since you didn't intentionally do it like I did. G is not very fast at responding to reinclusion requests, it may take a month before you see the Gbot crawling your site. Patience is called for in this case.

#8 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

Ime lucky theres no real database stuff on there - ironicaly one of our own sites had been hacked in a similar way the week before and years a go I found gigabytes of pirated dvds on our main website in a hidden directory.

Are these all on the same server?

If so it sounds to me like the server itself isn't very secure. It happens, but is shouldn't.

Tis one of the reasons I run my own servers and have for years. That way if something bad happens I have only myself to blame. But I also know I can fix the root problem.

#9 ttw

ttw

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:54 PM

I recently submitted a re-inclusion request on behalf of our client who was cloaking and lost about 30,000 pages from the index. They did cloaking to get around AJAX problems not with the intention of spamming. I read and watched Matt's video and read Google's reinclusion info but it didn't answer all my questions.

I have a few questions for those who have submitted a re-inclusion request to Google:

1) Do you ever hear back from Google while they are considering your request? Do they communicate with you?

2) How long does it typically take for Google to review and respond to a legitimate request?

Thank you.

Rosemary

#10 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:34 PM

Grain of salt since I've never had to ask for reinclusion, but I've never heard of anybody receiving any sort of update during the reconsideration process.

As far as the timing of it all goes, I've heard Google reps say before (was it Matt? I honestly don't recall but it probably was) that it can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months for a site to recover. Depending mostly upon the severity of the original infraction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.