Now I ask the zen question: Which came first the (web 2.0) content or the visitors? The chicken or the egg?
I suspect the real answer involves a seeding (or pump priming) process. The website webmaster seeds the site with some interesting content: blogs, articles, pictures, etc. She also sets up say a wiki and a forum. Eventually like-minded people start contributing and a vibrant online community begins.
Any suggestions on how this "pump priming" process can be achieved? Here's some of my wacky ideas so far:
- Generate as much decent content as I can
- Talk to friends, mention my URL
- Email friends, put URL in signature
- Link to site in related online forums
- Give away coffee cups with URL and catch-phrase
- Share/Trade links with other webmaster friends