• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Buying A High Pr Domain And 301'ing It

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rockstar

Rockstar

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:57 AM

So what effect does it have when you buy a high PR domain and 301 it? I assume it needs to be related to the content of your site but to what detail? Take my niche for instance, if I find a 'investing' domain and 301 it, will it help my forex site?

Also, it seems to me that buying a high PR domain can be cheaper then a link for a year.. I have gotten quotes from people as high as $150 a year for a PR5.

#2 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:16 PM

Also, it seems to me that buying a high PR domain can be cheaper then a link for a year
Well if G! works out this purchased link, is exactly that, a paid link for PR, you'll have paid for a PR5 link and it will give you ZERO PR.

And if the site is obviously selling PR and not using the nofollow rel attribute, they could get their PR devalued, and if the site IS using nofollow , then again , you won't be getting any PR from it.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:20 PM

Welcome Rockstar ! hi.gif

It depends upon who and what you believe. According to Matt Cutts and other Googlers, they should reset the domain after the purchase. Meaning you'd get exactly zero value from any links that had been pointing to it before or its latent authority.

In practice figuring out a domain has been sold and is now being used as a link juice tool is a bit more difficult than it at first sounds. Or more correctly it's difficult to tell when that happens but not catch up completely innocent sites in the net.

So, with this factored in I'd say your chances of success is probably somewhere around 50/50 initially. Though as more time passes they do seem to catch more that they didn't catch immediately.

In other words, I don't think your plan could be seen as a good long-term strategy.

#4 Rockstar

Rockstar

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:28 PM

Thanks a bunch, that answers most of my questions.

Edited by Jill, 12 November 2008 - 12:33 PM.

#5 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Nov 12 2008, 12:20 PM) View Post
Welcome Rockstar ! hi.gif

It depends upon who and what you believe. According to Matt Cutts and other Googlers, they should reset the domain after the purchase. Meaning you'd get exactly zero value from any links that had been pointing to it before or its latent authority.

In practice figuring out a domain has been sold and is now being used as a link juice tool is a bit more difficult than it at first sounds. Or more correctly it's difficult to tell when that happens but not catch up completely innocent sites in the net.

Randy, did you mean that if i sell my whole site to you. Every work I have put on it (backlinks) will be reset? I just have a hard time to think with this. It would mean that you can never sell my site.

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

What keeps you from selling your site Marchy? I've sold several sites. We're talking more than a handful.

When I sell sites they have the value they're worth based upon the success they've experienced. But they do not depend solely upon free search engine traffic to obtain paying customers.

That's the flaw in the business model most beginning webmasters seem to have. You can't control free/organic search engine rankings, thus you cannot control the rankings or the traffic you receive from them. As a domain seller, if that's all you're doing you also can't tell any prospective purchaser what your advertising costs are, with a breakdown of each.

Anybody who sells a domain that only or mainly relies on free search engine traffic is a fool. Anybody who buys a net--based business based purely upon free search engine traffic will pay for their foolish decision. In real money.

#7 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

I got that Randy, I am successful at what I do and I depend only on natural ranking. Maybe the field I am in can rely only on it. I do not do SEO for anyone else so I am limited in the knowledge of the full SEO perspective. I think also it depends the field you are in. The natural ranking keeps busy 3 employees that I have on the phone 16 hours a day so why would I pay.

I really think that it depends on the field you are in and also I see people in my field that does PPC and they do PPC cause do not work hard and or they do not know what they are doing. I really work hard on my sites and i really think that this is the success!

#8 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

Who said anything about Paying?

Everything is advertising, whether you're paying or not.

But I'll tell you this, and yes I've purchased domains before too. I wouldn't pay a premium price if half or more of its traffic came solely from free search engine traffic. In fact, I'd cut the amount I'm willing to pay at least in half if that were the case.

Then again, I'm stingy. I've never paid more than 5 grand for any domain. But the ones I sell always get lots more zero's in the sales price. wink1.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!