• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Links Without Anchor Text

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 legalguy

legalguy

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:24 AM

In my search for linking opportunities I found a limited number of websites on which I can purchase sponsorships for approx $50/month. They are high authority websites, on-topic, with hundreds of authority websites linking to them (those linking sites are in dmoz, and include many edu and gov links).

These sponsorships would normally seem ideal for link placements. The only problem: the links will not use anchor text. They would be small banner ads linked to my home page. There is no possibility of requesting anchor text.

Is there any value in this type of link?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:34 AM

From the SEO perspective there may still be some value, depending upon if Google has already determined those are paid links or not. And if the links are being nofollowed or not. And even then there may be some non-SEO value if real people use the site so you might get relevant, highly motivated users from your target audience clicking through.

That's the way to determine if they're worth the cost, btw. Treat them purely as advertisements and determine if you're going to get enough clicks that turn into conversions to make the cost worthwhile.

FWIW, if you can add Alt text to the banner image links, that'll function the same way as anchor text would for SEO purposes. Again if the links aren't nofollowed and if Google hasn't already flagged them as being paid links.

#3 Tripti

Tripti

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:56 AM

Hi Legalguy,

Answer to your question will depend upon your motive of having sponsor links on other authority websites. If you are buying those links to help your SEO process or rankings, then obviously a link without anchor tag wouldn't add too much value to your SEO process.

However, if you are doing it for promotion and marketing purpose, then there is no effect of anchor tag.

#4 AnimatedMarketing

AnimatedMarketing

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE(Tripti @ Jan 19 2009, 03:56 AM) View Post
Hi Legalguy,

Answer to your question will depend upon your motive of having sponsor links on other authority websites. If you are buying those links to help your SEO process or rankings, then obviously a link without anchor tag wouldn't add too much value to your SEO process.

However, if you are doing it for promotion and marketing purpose, then there is no effect of anchor tag.

I disagree.

Granted these banners are not flagged as 'paid ads' by Google, or are no followed..then you will get some degree of result from a Banner ad.

Example: If you have opportunity to get a do-follow link from a PR6 authority page with anchor text, as compared to a do-follow Banner ad from the same site, your value on the banner might be a bit lower. But it is still a LINK from an authority PR6. So there is value to such a link.

BR

#5 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:18 PM

IF they really are top sites with qualified traffic... you might actually get some real qualified traffic. Imagine that! It's what advertising is really meant to to. smile.gif

#6 Christina

Christina

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Oct 27 2008, 06:34 AM) View Post
Again if the links aren't nofollowed and if Google hasn't already flagged them as being paid links.

Hi Randy - I have a similar situation with forums and looking to get the best bang for my buck!! What would be the best way to determine if the links are "nofollows" and if Google has flagged them as paid links?

Thanks,

Christina

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:18 PM

Christina,

Using forums for links is an overall bad strategy and is basically forum spamming.

#8 Christina

Christina

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Apr 18 2011, 02:18 PM) View Post
Christina,

Using forums for links is an overall bad strategy and is basically forum spamming.

I am not using the forum for links - we are a sponsor of the forum and provide members a discount for their orders on our sites. We send free items for give aways for their parties in the local areas. We have an extremely large loyal following from our participation with their groups for the past years- BUT if I can also get back links while doing what we have been doing for a few years - then that makes sense!! So - I found your forum while searching the best way to do this. Success suggestions are appreciated!!

Thanks,

Christina

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:34 AM

Christina, if you're paying for advertising on a forum, then simply make it be part of your contract that your links do not have the nofollow attribute on them. This thread doesn't really apply for someone advertising on a forum, I don't think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!