• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Competitors Secrets?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tawnya

Tawnya

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 12:57 PM

Not sure if this is the area in the forum for this or if I should even be asking it but I am curious and thought someone could give me some inner insight here.

This is a competitor of one of my clients: www.canadiansprings.com.

The site is done in flash, has a splash site, appears to have no backward links except their own yet has a page rank of 5? How can this be? They seem to be doing everything I've been told would not work for SEO yet they are right up there in prime positioning on Google.

Thoughts/comments would be appreciated of what took them up there.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,652 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 01:06 PM

It's not all flash. It's a frame set with embedded flash, and they're making use of the noframes tag to provide content and links to the spiders.

#3 mcanerin

mcanerin

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 02:30 PM

Is that kosher from an SE point of view? If it is, it would be an easier way for me to deal with pure Flash sites.

Although I admit that to humans on non-frames browsers this may be human readable, it strikes me as fairly close to cloaking. To be fair, in this case the <No Frames> text appears to be exactly what is in the Flash site, and with the exception of the metatag keywords being repeated twice, it doesn't appear to be spammy. The repetition "could" be a simple mistake, from the looks of it. The <no frames> page is actually designed to be pleasing to the eye (if plain) and doesn't contain the random garbage that I associate with automatic "doorway page" programs.

An interesting way of approaching the problem. I didn't see anything that made me want to report them for unfair or bad practices (sorry).

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,652 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 02:40 PM

I don't see anything spammy about it. It's generally believed that the content of a noframes tag isn't given the same weight as normal text, but this does appear to be a proper use of it.

#5 Tawnya

Tawnya

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 03:20 PM

No question is ever stupid right? So here goes:

How are you viewing the "no frames" wording? I cannot view any source code, how do I do this? View source shows up nothing and cannot follow your answers right now.

Thanks ahead of time... :)

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,107 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 03:27 PM

It's in the view source. Just scroll down. There are blank lines up top for some reason. (Probably to trick people like you who don't realize they can scroll it!)

:)

Jill

#7 Tawnya

Tawnya

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 03:41 PM

All I can say is "Damn" :) Thanks Jill!

#8 Bernard

Bernard

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 03:47 PM

Google's link: search is rather flaky these days. One of our business partners, the industry leader and a publicly traded company, currently shows

"Your search - link:www.companyname.com - did not match any documents."

where it used to show over 3,000 back links. AllTheWeb reports 12,966 backlinks for them currently.

Anyways, AllTheWeb shows 173 backlinks to the main index page for your client's competitor. They do have backlinks.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!