• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Joomla And Rankings, Pros / Cons?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 doogie88

doogie88

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:01 PM

I'm thinking about using Joomla for the first time.
I searched the forums but nothing really came up.
It's going to be a decent size site, probably about 50 pages.
Then addition of articles.

Is there anything I should know that would make me stay away from Joomla?
Or have joomla sites been known to rank okay? I know it's the site itself that matters, but just wondered the way joomla worked if it affected anything?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:06 PM

Like most tools it all depends on how you use it.

#3 don h

don h

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:21 PM

I only used Joomla for a short time so I don't know much about it. If it doesn't already support the ability to give a page a unique title and possibly a unique meta description or no meta description at all, then you'll want to look for a plugin that allows you to do that.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:50 PM

Oops, sorry I missed this one.

It's been quite awhile since I've used Joomla, but to my knowledge it hasn't changed a lot with recent versions. (I have a designer friend who's currently installing the latest version on a site, and the issues I saw way back when were still there.)

You'll definitely want to install one of the Search Engine Friendly extensions. There are several available in their extensions library. Some will cost you. I'm not sure if there's still a freebie or not, but hopefully there is.

The reason being that out of the box Joomla has these urls that have query strings that will have 6 or 7 variables. That's just too many for the search engines for most sites. There are also issues with the title that gets put in each page and other stuff as Don mentioned.

This isn't terribly unusual for blogs and cms systems. But you'll want to do some homework before you take the leap to make sure there's an extension you can use to correct these basic issues.

#5 nethy

nethy

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

I know very little about Joomla. Can someone explain this to me?
http://www.google.co...%...=all&sort=0

What has made Joomla so attractive? It seems that now what attracts people is the fact that it's big & established with plenty of developers, forums, users, extensions/plugins etc. But Why did that happen? All I seem to hear about Joomla is complaints.

Does it have some sort of killer feature or is it significantly easier to get past the early hurdles & launch something?

#6 Typofrog

Typofrog

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:15 AM

Hi folks,

the newest version of Joomla! 1.5 supports out of the box natural speaking URLs in combination with mod rewrite of the apache. This works honestly excellent and for simple sites with just some pages and news articles I can recommend it. The problems are starting if you try to get your extensions running in a SEO-way. If you don't have some mod rewrite and php-experience, it'll be not too easy. Further there are some very nice SEO-Extensions for Joomla! like Artio joomSEF (free), which makes the life of a SEO much easier...

Just in general: if you don't know the new Joomla! 1.5, you could give it a second chance, but for bigger projects I'd not use it.

Greetz

#7 doogie88

doogie88

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:05 PM

Why not use it for bigger projects? I have a pretty big site I'm building with it?
Seems the SEO plugins help with the URLS, meta tags, titles, etc., I have been playing around with it a bit.

#8 Typofrog

Typofrog

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE(doogie88 @ Sep 15 2008, 07:05 PM) View Post
Why not use it for bigger projects? I have a pretty big site I'm building with it?
Seems the SEO plugins help with the URLS, meta tags, titles, etc., I have been playing around with it a bit.

It just seems to me (and I mad this experience my own), that Joomla (and especially) its extensions are a bit unflexible. In some of my client projects we used Joomla as well, but with the growth of the site the wishes of the customers are growing usually as well, and then often we realized that it was only possible with own coding, what takes you after the possibility for updates away. Further I had often problems with extensions, which are not compatible to each other.

questioning SEO, you're right, there are quite a lot of well working plugins. And as I mentioned before: Joomla is a wonderful tool, but there are some limits.

#9 doogie88

doogie88

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

Okay, thank you for clearing it up.
For the majority there will be no ecommerce on this site, just information, so I should be okay.

#10 Statisticus

Statisticus

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:49 AM

I've used Joomla for a couple of sites and a v. 1.5.x with the ArtioSEF extension works much better the previous versions, from a SEO perspective. Also there is no problem with unique meta data for each article anymore. But then again it is limited, as stated above, when you have to get the different extensions to work together (and updating can be hell sometimes). But if your site is just information that shouldn't create too much trouble...

And nethy: It's a great CMS, has a great community and some really good, both free and commercial, template designers uses Joomla as their main platform (which I think is the main reason a lot of developers chooses Joomla). And complaints? Never heard one tongue.gif

#11 austk

austk

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:40 PM

I think the big draw to joomla is control, wordpress is the next biggest cms app out there by google's metrics and it is a very basic, easy to use, but limited architecture cms app. I have been using joomla for some time and I simply love it.

#12 ashel

ashel

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(doogie88 @ Sep 15 2008, 05:22 PM) View Post
Okay, thank you for clearing it up.
For the majority there will be no ecommerce on this site, just information, so I should be okay.

Even if you want to do ecommerce, you can check out the completely free VirtueMart (www.virtuemart.com) extension.

Joomla! 1.5.9 (current) has everything you ask for and scales to large sites quite nicely if (like any site) it is done properly.

There are quite literaly dozens of things people can do that NO CMS platform will do out of the box, gzip compression on the server, compressing js/php code to download faster, caching (native now to Joomla) files and function queries. The list goes on, those are the highlights, and the ones most people never do.

Templates within most CMS systems are what inflate the page, and cause slow downs.

As mentioned, SEF urls are built into the core Joomla components, that means it works (and VERY nicely) with the articles components. And yes Joomla allows a meta for keywords, description, and robots for each article as well as each menu item you create.

Joomla developers can simply create what's called a route file into their components and the core Joomla has been designed to be able to turn url's for the component into SEF url's. It's pretty simple and most of the major components are utilizing this great feature. I built a component using it and it was simple. That is purely from a dev standpoint, end users will never have to worry about the route file.

Joomla is simply great to use. I started with it about 3 years ago, and always come back to it.

Here is a quote from a forum thread at joomla.org (forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=268&t=61055&start=0)

"Well, my site gets over 100k pageviews/day, everyday, and it handles fine on a VPS, very quick too!"

Read that whole post, there are many people with impressive loads doing just fine with Joomla.
It's been quite awhile since I've used Joomla, but to my knowledge it hasn't changed a lot with recent versions. (I have a designer friend who's currently installing the latest version on a site, and the issues I saw way back when were still there.

Can you expound on this comment? The first time I setup Joomla it took me about 1 hour, I had little knowledge of programming at the time. Now I can do it locally in about 2 minutes or less. I can get new default setup on the web in well under 10 minutes with no problems.

Doogie88. In regards to ranking, it's as good as anything on the market. I've had sites that were indexed by Google within hours, just by posting one link on another site that was already indexed. There are some really good sitemap generates that can keep your entire website up to date with little or no effort. This keeps the robots happy and even complies with Google's site map requirements.

If you have any specific questions on Joomla, please ask.

I hope this was helpful, I know I jumped around a bit. Just trying to address the comments. Good discussion.

#13 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:21 AM

Can you expound on this comment?

There's not really much to expound upon. I was just referring to this:

QUOTE(Me)
The reason being that out of the box Joomla has these urls that have query strings that will have 6 or 7 variables. That's just too many for the search engines for most sites. There are also issues with the title that gets put in each page and other stuff as Don mentioned.

Those are the two main issues I saw the last time I looked at Joomla. Both can be overcome with extensions/tweaks, but you have to know to look for 'em.

#14 ashel

ashel

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Jan 13 2009, 06:21 AM) View Post
Those are the two main issues I saw the last time I looked at Joomla. Both can be overcome with extensions/tweaks, but you have to know to look for 'em.

I wouldn't call them tweaks, the are just settings.

You do have to know where to turn on the SEF function, it's the in the global admin config screen on the admin front end.

If you publish an article, the page title will be the same as the article title. Unless you override it, which is just another setting.

Joomla has come a long way since mambo and Joomla 1.0. Most requests and past "tweaks" have been integrated into the core of Joomla.

I am partial to it, obviously. As a programmer, I can bend it to my will pretty easily.

My brother who knows nothing of PHP/CSS/JS has setup a couple very nice websites for his family and his church group. He installed it, he changed around the logo files that he needed and added the content from the back end. He told me he actually enjoyed it and the directions were straight forward step-by-step. I was unable to help him at the time and was very impressed.

It should be at the top of anyone's list of possible CMS platforms, at least give it a shot.

#15 ogormask

ogormask

Shane O'Gorman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:29 AM

If you install the latest Joomla install today you would never know that the old Joomla used to have strange URLS. In fact its very confusing if you start at the newer versions vs working with the older versions. Its what you heard about it or experienced before that is confusing. Now, out of the "box" so to speak its perfect. There are really no SEO issues at all. You can have access to every single area you want if you want to hard code it or you can add a few subtle tweaks if for instance you want to really with page titles but want to undo it just as easy. Basically manual SEO if you want or auto for an easier route. There is no aspect that is left untouched.

For ease of use. I struggled learning web design last year. I have programmed for a long time on the side but never done a web page. 10-1 the amount of time to learn how to do a site in css or html vs Joomla.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!