• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Online Reputation Management

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(Narcotic @ Mar 10 2010, 10:21 AM) View Post
I remember reading somewhere a few years ago that making profiles on social networking sites (using your clients name) will push down the existing results and the social network sites will replace them. I am not sure how true this is but I'm sure someone on here will have a better idea.

If there is virtually no content in a query space, you can usually fill it up with social network profile pages.

If the query space is contested or if there is a hostile entity then social media provides very little value in and of itself. You may still be able to promote social media profiles by linking to them.

In a hostile environment, where multiple reputable sites are attacking the reputation stakeholder, you need something better than social media for content (or else you need a WHOLE LOT of links).

Generally speaking, filling your name space with social media profiles sends a signal to people that you have accomplished nothing of note, earned no recognition, and are generally not significant in any field.

Ideally, you want to promote articles, blog posts, and other Web content created by reputable people into your name space to show that people are saying something nice about you.

But you have to work with whatever resources you have available.

#17 Narcotic

Narcotic

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:23 PM

Yeah I can see where your coming from with the search results better being from reputable people it would look better and more genuine I was just thinking of a quick fix to his problem. Although the competitors posting bad press could continue I guess in turn knocking the social network pages down.

Looks like the Obama idea is the best and face the people head on.

#18 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE(Narcotic @ Mar 10 2010, 12:23 PM) View Post
Yeah I can see where your coming from with the search results better being from reputable people it would look better and more genuine I was just thinking of a quick fix to his problem. Although the competitors posting bad press could continue I guess in turn knocking the social network pages down.

Looks like the Obama idea is the best and face the people head on.

I can't tell you what the best solution is. After doing search reputation management for several years, I can tell you that each client has its own challenges, objectives, and limits. And quick fixes sometimes work, sometimes cause more trouble than they are worth.

You need to custom-tailor your solution to the client's situation. I just don't think it can or should be handled in a formulaic way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!