• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Google Adsense

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#16 paulbedford

paulbedford

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 08:29 AM

Not sure exactly when it happened but it was there when I logged in this morning (about 8 hours ago).

You will see it immediately after you have logged in. Look for Ad Colors.

#17 JamesW

JamesW

One who makes no mistakes, never makes anything

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 04:44 PM

Hey,

I thought Google AdSense was a good idea too, and implemented it on one of my new web sites about a week ago.

Recently, when checking my reports, I came across a day where there was an approximate 800% increase in click-through. Anyway, I thought nothing of it.

A couple of days later, after checking my email, I learn that Google has disabled my AdSense account (to protect advertisers). Despite my emails to them in protest, and their admission that it had absolutely nothing to do with me, they still won't budge.

I have emailed them once more requesting they shut down my account permanently, so that I may once again participate in this service once the bad tase has left my mouth.

I also asked them whether I would be able to get other users' accounts 'disabled' by clicking on their ads X amount of times. I await a response.

This seems a strange action to take when I have no control over visitors to my web site, nor what they click on!

Any opinions out there? Has this happened to other web sites that you know of?

Cheers,

James

#18 compar

compar

Just Purrfect

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 05:56 PM

Recently, when checking my reports, I came across a day where there was an approximate 800% increase in click-through. Anyway, I thought nothing of it.

We are using AdSense ads on a bunch of our pages. When we first put them up several of us in the office clicked through to test them and out of curiosity. We realized looking at the stats that we had actually earned money for these click throughs.

A lot of AdWord advertisers are complaining about the conversion rate of people coming from AdSense ads. This ability to earn money from clicking through on your own ad may explain part of that phenomenon.

I'm surprised that Google hasn't implemented a better checking mechanism. But apparently from the evidence of your case they will step in in extreme cases.

#19 JamesW

JamesW

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 04:16 AM

Bob,

[But apparently from the evidence of your case they will step in in extreme cases. ]

800% may sound like an extreme case, but we are only talking about numbers in the early double-figures! Hey, come on - it's a new web site - give me a bit of time!

It seems such a shame that a common sense view wasn't taken - I asked them why they didn't just annull the clicks for that day, instead of taking their chosen 'sledge-hammer' path. ;)

As I point must point out again, these weren't my clicks nor were they encouraged in any way as far as I'm concerned.

If this indicates the fragility of Google AdWords, then that's worrying for us all!

P.S. Have you had serious plastic surgery, or is that new picture of your pet cat :D

Cheers,

James

#20 compar

compar

Just Purrfect

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 08:01 AM

Bob,

P.S. Have you had serious plastic surgery, or is that new picture of your pet cat  :D

James,

Thank you for your concern. The complete explanation can be found here. ;)

#21 JamesW

JamesW

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 03:57 AM

Hey,

Thank goodness for this forum. Otherwise, I think my computer would be lying in my street, having been launched from my window :D

To update anyone who's interested (somebody at the back there?), Google still refuse to budge, despite the following:

1. Approximately 35(!) invalid click detected.
2. These have been acknowledged as nothing to do with me.
3. The account was disabled because of these invalid clicks.

Google, despite my email replies, refuse to deal with specifics and instead give bland, robot-like responses.

They won't a) re-activate or delete my account or ;) specify where these clicks came from.

Doesn't it seem strange that the Google AdSense program is able to designate certain clicks as invalid, but then seems unable (or unwilling) to ignore these (35) clicks!?

Where has common sense gone?

Cheers,

James

#22 Think Web

Think Web

Our Anti-Moron™ software comes in many flavors!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 09:48 AM

It does concern me that Google could disable an account due to the sabotage of a competitor or a screw-ball doing it for kicks. I could also imagine some regular website visitors clicking ads every so often too.

I wonder if they're as quick to disable one of their larger AdSense customers?

I'm guessing that they're using a fraud ratio trigger that's based on overall site traffic volume. I'm also willing to bet that they're watching IP addresses real close. (i.e. IP address of the person logging in to the AdSense admin section vs IP's of ad clicks)

Why not filter the fraudulent clicks instead of banning a site?

#23 JamesW

JamesW

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 10:40 AM

Craig,

My point exactly!

If they can detect the 'illegal' clicks, then surely then can filter them?

I just can't understand their responses to be honest.

As retribution, I'm currently contemplating clicking 35 times on the ads displayed when you search for 'Google' at Google.com. In theory, Google will then have their own account disabled. Do you think this is a likely outcome and that they will take the same action as they have done with my web site?

Cheers,

James

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!