• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Google Adsense

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 08:48 PM

If you've got a mostly informational site, check out Google Adsense! These content-relevant text ads are helping informational sites bring in some $$ to help pay the bills.

I just got my first Adsense check for the last week of June- it was a little over $100. The $ amount per click seems to have decreased slightly this month, but I'm still very pleased.

It's also lots of fun to see what ads show up on which pages- I'm amazed at the detail level of the ads served. :learn:

#2 Matt B

Matt B

The modem is the message.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 11:18 AM

It seems to be a very good program because it rewards those out to share information, rather than overtly "sell something." As I am typing this I am forming an informational website about something that is very dear to me. I've now found my new hobby. Hint: -_-

#3 robwatts

robwatts

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 01:05 PM

Ive placed adsense on commercial product pages too. The way I see it is that if a visitor (for whatever reason ) decides not to buy the product from the page, then they have an option to click on a contextual Ad, in my mind this means that we still win, as the user is presented with further options and we still get paid should they choose to do so.

Sure, there are those who'd say that adwords may even take a sale away from us, but our initial findings for the domain in question are that sales have remained more or less as predicted. We ensure that ad placement is unobtrusive and is only seen after the users have had the chance to 'scan' the key page sales drivers.

As the adsense TOS prevent me from talking specifics, Ill just say that just under 98% of people do not see a need to click the ads, which tells us that we are doing something right. -_-

Win win in my book - go adsense!

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 01:30 PM

I've placed AdSense on my Parentsroom.org pages, and it's doing okay. I figure by the rate I'm going now I might make $20 or so per month. Better than nothing, as I don't do anything with that site any more. It's just a lot of content that has been built up over the years.

Jill

#5 Farhan

Farhan

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 04:01 PM

Just read this an email newsletter the other day:

If you want your visitors to click on your AdSense Ads, build content that is boring. Make it soooo boring that visitors will click just anything that would take them out of your site -_- Howz that? Short-term effective strategy

#6 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 04:09 PM

LOL -_- That's a strategy, I guess...

#7 Phil CK

Phil CK

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 05:34 PM

Its just a shame that its currently a USA based service with payment in a $ cheque. I know this fact doesn't stop me from running the ads, but it just puts me off a little ! Here's hoping the UK roll-out isn't too far away.

#8 Jodi

Jodi

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 03:51 PM

I actually find Google AdSense to be highly effective and have had it on my songwriting website since mid June. By the end of July, I'd earned about $120 dollars. Since I'm in Canada, this is a pretty big deal for me :D and helps me make money from ad inventory that otherwise would have set empty. Works for me!

I've been really impressed with the context of the ads so far. ;) Glad to hear it's working for others too! I certainly like the idea of MAKING money from Google rather than SPENDING it. :lol:

--Jodi

#9 Thanol

Thanol

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 05:50 PM

I use it for my website and I'm getting enough to pay off hosting and domain name stuff so I'm happy.

#10 stp

stp

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 02:36 AM

AdSense is fantastic. I have a hobby site that I've put 100's of hours into and having stumbled across it a few weeks ago, I'll now get a modest reward each month. And my husband 'might' stop nagging me about spending so much time on the 'puter - maybe.

Sue

#11 daryl

daryl

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 04:13 AM

There has been a much publicity surrounding just how 'contextual' contextual ads are, given that it is up to an algorithm to decide on the subject matter of a page.

One of the most humourous examples I have seen of the whole thing going wrong:

"The technology is not yet foolproof. The online edition of The New York Post, which is owned by News Corp., ran an article last month about a killing in which the victim's body parts were packed in a suitcase, and Google served up an ad for a luggage dealer."

http://www.iht.com/a...les/105398.html

#12 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 08:51 AM

Welcome, Sue and Daryl! :applause:

#13 Thanol

Thanol

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 10:04 AM

I wonder if the Red Cross and the other organizations in the Public service ads are getting an increase in the number of donations since AdSense began?

#14 paulbedford

paulbedford

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 07:35 AM

Just wondering if anyone here has noticed any significant change in their AdSense results since they changed to diplaying related searches earlier today. I'm not asking for anyone to violate Google's TOS with specifics, just a general up, down, the same kind of thing. My click through ratio is about 40% down. I do realize that it's early days, probably to early to draw any conclusions, just looking for thoughts.

One change that Google do deserve a pat on the back for is the facility to change the colour of the ads to suit the colour scheme of your site.

#15 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 08:09 AM

Whoa- when did that happen? I need to take a look- the current color (blue) doesn't really match my site.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!