I became inspired to learn seo for my businesses because I got sick and tired of ego freaks and scammers giving me ridiculously inflated estimates, pretending like they were God himself, and treating me as though I was a moron because I did not understand seo.
Since then I have had pretty good results on my sites. I am no expert but lets be honest, seo is mostly just common sense. The biggest complaint I hear from fellow business people about their websites revolve around issues of the people working on their sites, not the sites themselves.
I recently had a site rebuilt and told the designer exactly what I wanted in terms of seo. However, because I do not write html he assumed I also did not know anything about optimzing my own site. So he slyly stuck rows of hidden keywords at the bottom of my homepage and I did not find it until the site was live. When I politely and humbly asked him to remove the hidden text he got flustered, told me I did not know what I was talking about, my rankings would plumet, and he knew everything because this was his job. I have countless stories like this from my own experiences and that of my friends.
Why don't these people understand that if you just treat people fairly and honestly try to educate them about their site they would trust you more and be happy to recommend your services. Your clients aren't stupid. You just work in a different field than they do.
So my question is, why are egomaniacs and know-it-alls so prevalent in this industry?
My list of do's and dont's for those in the seo industry:
6) Do Speak English. Don't use technical jargon just to make yourself sound smart.
5) Do educate your client. The more empowered you make them feel, the more comfortable they will be with you and your services.e
4) Do put the Ego away. It's the clients site and if they want something different, they are the ones who have to live with it.
3) Do realize that you don't actually know everything because nobody does. In my experience, most people who claim to know everything about seo, have outdated, irrelevant information.
2) Do explain what the goals of the search engines are and the history of seo. Once people have a grasp of this, it's easy to tell them why changes need to be made on their sites and why that guy promising 10,000 links in a day is not legitimate.
1) Do onto others as you would have them do onto you!
Edited by ambtmt12, 16 July 2008 - 04:23 PM.