• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Domains Effect On Ranking

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 razzle

razzle

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 07:48 AM

Hello everyone!

I have come across a site that resides on a domain such as www7.widget.co.uk. The site is completely dynamic which doesn't help for a start :unsure: , however I have never promoted a site with a number after the www before.

Does anyone know if this will have an effect on promotion in any way?

Thanks in advance

Razzle

#2 nickc

nickc

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 07:53 AM

Hello everyone!

I have come across a site that resides on a domain such as www7.widget.co.uk. The site is completely dynamic which doesn't help for a start  :unsure: , however I have never promoted a site with a number after the www before.

Thanks in advance

Razzle

I don't see why there should be a problem. I don't have a domain name at all (see link below) and I have a PageRank of 5/10. Good luck with it.

Nick

#3 dimok

dimok

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 08:03 AM

No effect at all! As Googleguy say (in webmasterworld forum) "Top level domains, for example .com, .net, .org, etc., are not a factor in Google rankings." So subdomains also have no effect on rankings.

#4 razzle

razzle

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 08:16 AM

thanks for your quick responses - greatly appreciated. I should have known that really as I have worked with subdomains before - I guess the number just threw me :unsure:

#5 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

HR 6

• 963 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 09:20 AM

No effect at all! As Googleguy say (in webmasterworld forum) "Top level domains, for example .com, .net, .org, etc., are not a factor in Google rankings." So subdomains also have no effect on rankings.

While I agree with your conclusion on this example, I'm not sure I can agree with your line of reasoning. It would be just as reasonable to say that if TLDs are not a factor, then domain names aren't a factor. Few seem to agree on how much weight is given, but fewer yet would argue that domains and subdomains have no effect on rankings.

Historically, the www7 would be more aptly considered a machine name, rather than a subdomain.

When the Internet first took off, we were running on 286's and the occasional 386. One computer just didn't have enough oomph to do everything we wanted it to do. So, we might set up one computer just for anonymous FTP, one for email, and yet another computer to handle gopher (old stuff no one cares about anymore). The first computer would likely be called ftp.domain.com, the second would be mail.domain.com, and (you guessed it) the third would be gopher.domain.com. The part we now think of as subdomains -- in these examples ftp, email and gopher -- were called the machine names. The unique domain name tied them together in the DNS records, but they were nonetheless entirely separate computers with different IP addresses. Along about 1992, this new Internet protocol surfaced called the World Wide Web. So, we added another computer to our network arsenal and called it www.domain.com.

I agree with the obvious consensus here that www7 will not, in any way, hurt your SE campaigns. I think it might, however, hurt any future branding efforts. Mention "dot com" and most people will know you're talking about the Internet. Mention "www" and even your great-grandmother, who thinks a computer must have colored balls like an abacus, will know you're talking about the Internet. People type it without knowing what it means, and usually without even considering whether it's still necessary. When it comes to branding, do you really want to retrain the world to type in www7 instead?

The first thing I would ask is whether the www7 is, indeed, a machine name. Is there a www1-6 and, if so, what are their purposes? Chances are, I suspect, that the www7 is not being used to subdivide the work so it can be run on multiple machines. Chances are, it's just a ServerAlias that points to the same place on the disk as the actual domain name.

Unless there is an overriding practical reason for using the www7, or unless there is a huge preponderance of incoming links that use the www7, I would probably add a new ServerAlias to the server configuration and start promoting www. widget.co.uk instead. You can have as many ServerAlias directives as you want, so the www7 would still work for those using it. But when it came to word-of-mouth and branding (really, the same thing), I suspect you'd find that the www would be much easier for most people to remember and use.

#6 razzle

razzle

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 11:35 AM

Hi Ron,

The site does have a www.widget.co.uk domain it's just that it redirects straight to the www7.widget.co.uk domain. I don't know why it does this but I guess that solves the branding problem. The site has a large amount of country specific domains that all redirect to www7.

For example:

www.widget.de redirects to www7.widget.de
www.widget.fr redirects to www7.widget.fr

all of these domains have the same sight in the relevant countries language.

I don't know if this schedules any more light on the matter.

Thanks

Razzle

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!