Sitting here with Greg Jarboe and Amanda Watlington and the session is just beginning. Amanda and I have been discussing the difficulties of getting good help. Good AND dependable? Seems an impossible combination.
Alan Webb is up. To get links, you need content. But to get the content found and linked, you need links? How do you get the links in order to be found so that more people will link to you? How to you kickstart your website and get the word out?
The "for free" options:
- Social media optimization, bookmarks
- Usenet. Not so popular anymore but still out there
- Newsletter- write your own newsletter
- Blogs, great for new stuff
- Forums- don't spam! Will backfire on you. Post helpful posts first before dropping your own information. Will give you a bad name otherwise.
The "for money" options
- Keyword Advertising
- Press Releases
- Traditional online media buy- banners and ads
- E-mail newsletter marketing
- Missed one- sorry!
Alan Webb's Personal Top 10 Link Bait Content
1. Tools- create a useful tool
2. Contests. Use some creativity and make a contest that provides and unusual prize or is interesting.
3. Online games, like flash games. Make it addictive. Develop it with a theme for your niche.
4. Breaking News- maximize your knowledge of breaking events
5. Lists- Top 10, Do's and Don'ts- very popular, people love lists.
6. Controversy- create a buzz, get people talking. Can backfire, so be careful.
8. Giveaways or freebies- screensavers or other digital media. Software tools. E-books
9. Studies, white papers, tutorials- particularly powerful if they go against the common thinking. Must back it up with research.
10. Cool Design
What is the best day of the year to create linkbait?
Coming up soon....
Cool page: http://producten.hema.nl Great linkbait, poor usability. Lots of sites link to this page. Successful linkbait although it's not selling anything on this page.
Sex sells: www.neckermann.de Combines shock, controversy and fun. Alan shows how to find linkbacks using linkdomain and -site to remove internal links on Yahoo. A new wrinkle is that you can put keywords in the linkdomain command and find only sites linking to you with those keywords. Gives you the thematic links.
linkdomain:www.neckermann.de "job award" -site:neckermann.de
*NSFW* You've been warned.
That's the end of Alan... Next up...