• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Bookmarking

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Julien

Julien

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Oct 6 2008, 07:00 AM) View Post
A correction...

The search engines have no way to see how much traffic a site receives from all channels, especially not from bookmarks, so rankings are not affected by overall traffic. Popularity yes, traffic no.

Hi Randy,

What exactly do you mean by site popularity? Number of incoming links, quality of incoming links (having a "good neighborhood"), both, neither?

#17 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:57 AM

Both. And more. wink1.gif

Number of links, quality of links, positive press, etc, etc.

#18 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:44 AM

Alright. Read this post, looking for opinions.... We sell enterprise software. Its a long sale cycle. The focus of our site is lead generation. We do a little social bookmarking (technorati and del.icio.us).

I have not gone full throttle into this practice because in my opinion (or atleast my opinion at the time was), the folks that impact the buying decision for on our software are not out in social media sites. So traffic from these sites is not going to help generate leads for our enterprise software.

Would it be considered say a "link spammy" kind of thing if I just have my intern go ahead and bookmark 80 to 100 social media sites every time we have a press release? I started my marketing career as a direct marketer, so it feels that way, but I could be wrong. As mentioned, not every social media site uses the no follow, so there would be a benefit there for link building, and then yes, what would I call an online marketing buzz factor as mentioned by Randy.

I am open to changing my strategy if it is merited. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

DJKay

#19 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

Not to change the question DJKay, but is the site currently generating leads? Regardless of whether they turn into sales or not for the purposes of this question.

FWIW the reason I ask is because of the couple of things you mentioned as the nature of your business.

#20 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:04 AM

But bookmarking a page and getting a page social bookmarked to two entirely different things. I'm still not sure which was being asked in the original question.

#21 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Oct 20 2008, 10:10 PM) View Post
Not to change the question DJKay, but is the site currently generating leads? Regardless of whether they turn into sales or not for the purposes of this question.

FWIW the reason I ask is because of the couple of things you mentioned as the nature of your business.

Hi Randy,

Yes, the site is generating leads and we use lots of techniques to generate leads..ppc, white papers, content syndication, press releases, blogging, etc. Now, we have seen a downturn with the recent struggles in the economy (starting in September) and the presidential election, but back when George W was up for his second term, we saw the same thing statistically speaking. Back then, we were not generating as many leads as we are now, but our sales staff was smaller then.

Not sure what this has to do with my question, but I hope this helps. DJKay

#22 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Oct 21 2008, 09:04 AM) View Post
But bookmarking a page and getting a page social bookmarked to two entirely different things. I'm still not sure which was being asked in the original question.

When I say we do a little social book marking, I mean I have my intern social book marking in technorati and del.icio.us. Why I am asking the question above is there is a company that has offered to social book mark any press releases or pages for me for $25 a url. For us, that would be articles, whitepapers, and press releases. I could have my intern go ahead and social bookmark our stuff on 80 to 100 plus social media sites everytime we do a press release, have an article or whitepaper. Or, it may be worth saving the intern's time and just paying the fee --if I can get a clear idea as to how it will help us.

#23 Livetech

Livetech

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE(DJKay @ Oct 21 2008, 03:50 PM) View Post
Or, it may be worth saving the intern's time and just paying the fee --if I can get a clear idea as to how it will help us.

If you're paying the intern, then you're not only saving time, but your money.

FWIW, it depends how much value you see in social bookmarking - you said it yourself that the majority of customers aren't perceived to be in social bookmarking circles.

If you want to try out the social bookmarking circles, then I'm unsure of what my advice would be to probably take the $25/url route, for the pure and simple reason that although the intern may have a better knowledge of the product, they probably owuldn't have a clue on where your customers are on social networking sites.

Be warned though the chaps who usually do the whole "$25 per url" jobby simply submit their link to a number of social bookmarking sites in the (vain) hope of getting a social networking boost. I generally like to steer clear of services such as this as their profiles aren't as strong as others (i've had a couple of times when an authoritative Stumbleupon User has thumbed up a post, and I get around 500-1000 people visiting, which is more than around 30-40 non authoritative StumbleUpon Users).

But be sure to measure it, even if it just a "where did you find us?" box in the ordering process.

#24 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE(Livetech @ Oct 21 2008, 12:48 PM) View Post
If you're paying the intern, then you're not only saving time, but your money.

FWIW, it depends how much value you see in social bookmarking - you said it yourself that the majority of customers aren't perceived to be in social bookmarking circles.

If you want to try out the social bookmarking circles, then I'm unsure of what my advice would be to probably take the $25/url route, for the pure and simple reason that although the intern may have a better knowledge of the product, they probably owuldn't have a clue on where your customers are on social networking sites.

Be warned though the chaps who usually do the whole "$25 per url" jobby simply submit their link to a number of social bookmarking sites in the (vain) hope of getting a social networking boost. I generally like to steer clear of services such as this as their profiles aren't as strong as others (i've had a couple of times when an authoritative Stumbleupon User has thumbed up a post, and I get around 500-1000 people visiting, which is more than around 30-40 non authoritative StumbleUpon Users).

But be sure to measure it, even if it just a "where did you find us?" box in the ordering process.

Another reason to outsource is quality...we have been trying to clean up our 404s in web master tools and I have found alot of errors are just typos by previous interns. Plus, I have so many projects for my intern, so it may make sense to outsource here for this. So, there are some other reasons why...

#25 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,548 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:49 PM

Does anybody else get an icky feeling from the idea of "$25 to submit your links to 80-100 social bookmarking sites" or is it just me? dntknw.gif

I dunno, I'm just getting uncomfortable flashbacks to the old "$29.95 a month to submit your site to thousands of search engines" days. yuk.gif

The argument against going after rankings in all those thousands of search engines was that nobody actually used them. Even if submitting to them did somehow work to get you great rankings in them, odds were great they would never, ever bring you any traffic, much less traffic that would convert. It really didn't matter how inexpensive the "services" were -- even $.05 was too much to pay for the nothing you'd get in return. nah.gif

Seems to me the same thing would hold true here. If your target customers aren't using these 80-100 social bookmarking sites, then what good does a bookmark there do you, really? Why would you pay this "service" $0.25, much less $25, just to get you a handful of non-traffic-generating links that will quickly scroll to the nether regions of these little-used social bookmarking sites, never to be seen (or bring appreciable SE benefit) again? hmm.gif

For a long time people got all excited over the "Digg effect" and all the thousands of visitors they could get from hitting the front page at Digg -- until the reality started to sink in recently with some marketers that the traffic they get is almost entirely crap. Diggers will flit in for a few seconds and flit back out again without exploring the rest of the site or buying a product or doing much of anything useful at all... but the sheer volume of them can bring the server to its knees and potentially prevent real, paying customers from getting through. Which means in this case social bookmarking "success" can actually end up costing you money. I know at least some people who are starting to question whether hitting the front page on a busy, non-targeted social news site like Digg is worth it. censored.gif

On the other hand, people also complain when they hit the front page of some lesser-known social bookmarking sites, and see no appreciable increase in visits at all. It often takes at least a bit of work to get to the front page, and -- understandably, IMO -- they'd like to see some kind of boost for having put forth the effort. weights.gif

There are zilliions of social bookmarking sites out there already, and seems like new ones launch every day. Only a few of them will ever reach "critical mass." Most of them are never going to amount to a hill of beans, IMO. Some will become successful within their niche community without ever making it on to the radar of the general public. ninja.gif

Why not try to locate the ones where your customers and potential customers do hang out -- I'm betting there are at most a small handful -- and focus your efforts there? Perhaps you could set your intern to the task of building up a real profile for you (submitting interesting industry-related links, not just submitting your own stuff, voting up other people's submissions, leaving interesting and thoughtful comments, etc.). I mean, the point of social bookmarking and social networking is in the word "social", n'est ce pas? mf_type.gif

The companies I hear about that appear to getting the most value out of their social participation are, well, participating. Not just broadcasting.

My penny.gif Please forgive me if I come across as over-reacting, or if I misunderstood what this company is offering to do for you. smile.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#26 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:40 PM

Hi Torka,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I could not agree more. I have the same icky feeling about that service, but I know that I can be wrong or the world has changed since I am not doing SEM/SEO day in and day out as my main gig for the last 5 years. So I put things up on the forum for advice. In general, the whole service seems spammy to me.

"Why not try to locate the ones where your customers and potential customers do hang out -- I'm betting there are at most a small handful -- and focus your efforts there?"

This is precisely why the intern is only bookmarking in del.icio.us and technorati. Good idea for her to research to see what social media sites are being used by potential prospects (again, not many), then maybe expand the group by one or two.

Thanks, DJKay

#27 Ravi Verma

Ravi Verma

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:07 PM

Hi,

Can anyone give me a list of social bookmarking sites that really helps in getting more traffic in site? Also I would like to know about what is the best way to submitting bookmarks on these sites? Any good automated system is there or they are all spams.

Thanks,
Ravi

#28 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,773 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:26 PM

Can anyone give me a list of social bookmarking sites that really helps in getting more traffic in site?

No, because it's not the site that brings you traffic, it's the content that you create and submit to the site.

#29 SEMSEO

SEMSEO

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE(Ravi Verma @ Dec 4 2008, 08:07 AM) View Post
Hi,

Can anyone give me a list of social bookmarking sites that really helps in getting more traffic in site? Also I would like to know about what is the best way to submitting bookmarks on these sites? Any good automated system is there or they are all spams.

Thanks,
Ravi

Do not rely on automated system when submitting to social bookmarking sites as they are very stupid and they will make your website look spammy. I have seen an SEO firm promoting their SEO business at a social bookmarking website that has nothing to do with search engine marketing whatsoever. If I am a client, I will not hire such a firm to optimize my website as they will give bad reputation to my company. They are too dumb to put your website in the right category.

#30 Twix

Twix

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:46 AM

I know this is an older thread but have seen some "experts" recently get together groups of their customers and create teams to submit and review each others sites - which would give them "a great way to get a high quality backlink". I don't use these type of sites ( stumbleupon, digg ) but didn't get the idea that that's how they were supposed to work. The team work just doesn't seem like it's a legit practice to gain pagerank and traffic, is it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!