• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Bookmarking

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Jean54

Jean54

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:07 PM

I was wondering if getting your page bookmarked helps in search engine rankings?

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:06 PM

Are you asking about bookmarking sites like del.icio.us or StumbleUpon? I believe they both put nofollow on their links, so Google won't give you any credit for those bookmarks (although Yahoo probably would). The idea with sites like these is to call other people's attention to the pages you bookmark. That can bring you direct traffic, and the possibility that other people will link to you elsewhere.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:47 AM

Or if you're talking about bookmarking or saving sites to your favs in your browser, this cannot possibly have any effect. The search engines can't see such info (privacy issues) for this type of bookmarking.

#4 Blogologist

Blogologist

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:05 PM

Indirectly.

Bookmarking can help your page's/post's exposure to people searching or browsing these services for interesting content.

If they then like what they see and link to you... that's a link and that's good SEO for you!

The best-case scenario is that you get enough bookmarks from a delicious, a reddit or similar to appear on their "popular" page/s.

This is a known way to -- for a short time -- drive a lot of qualified traffic to your site.

In the end, the links you get will depend on the quality of the content, of course... as will the likelihood of you getting all those bookmarks in the first place!!

-Alister

#5 Mitchelle Johnson

Mitchelle Johnson

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:11 AM

Social bookmarking gives you backlink and traffic and both are required for ranking and pr. so i think bookmarking helps in improving in search engine rankings........

#6 john.lewis

john.lewis

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:39 AM

QUOTE(Jean54 @ Nov 19 2007, 08:07 PM) View Post
I was wondering if getting your page bookmarked helps in search engine rankings?

Ofcourse they will give you better exposure in link building point of view but, but if bookmarking site uses nofolow attribute then it is not advantageous.

#7 WebPhoenix

WebPhoenix

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:24 AM

Yes social bookmarking helps in getting good traffic. Generally it has been seen that sometimes server got crashed due to huge traffic. So I must say social bookmarking helps in getting traffic.

#8 john.lewis

john.lewis

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:05 AM

If we say strait then if you use no follow website then it can give you traffic only and if you are using do follow social book marking site like digg then it can give you traffic as well search engine ranking.

#9 desmarkt

desmarkt

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:34 AM

Do you think that if our site is linked for "a lot of user" from del.icio.us, although these links have nofollow, can google increase the trust rank of our site?

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(desmarkt @ Jun 12 2008, 10:34 AM) View Post
Do you think that if our site is linked for "a lot of user" from del.icio.us, although these links have nofollow, can google increase the trust rank of our site?

It is highly doubtful.

#11 purplesoda

purplesoda

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE(desmarkt @ Jun 12 2008, 09:34 AM) View Post

i don't think so. del.icio.us uses do-follow which have no merit with the rankings. this could help driving out more traffic, unless of course, those users are just from your own website promotion/advertising team.

but of course, we can never be too sure. google algorithms are just so complicated! but if google is not your concern, social bookmarking sites with no follow would definitely help with your rankings in yahoo and/or msn.

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:39 AM

i don't think so. del.icio.us uses do-follow which have no merit with the ranking

Don't you mean "nofollow"?

#13 purplesoda

purplesoda

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:30 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 23 2008, 08:39 AM) View Post
Don't you mean "nofollow"?

sorry about that Jill, i mean no-follow.

#14 Lucky

Lucky

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:52 AM

Bookmarking improve lot of traffic to your site and the ranking is affected by traffic so I think the bookmarking is help for ranking........

#15 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE(Lucky)
and the ranking is affected by traffic

A correction...

The search engines have no way to see how much traffic a site receives from all channels, especially not from bookmarks, so rankings are not affected by overall traffic. Popularity yes, traffic no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!