• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Creating Site Maps

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:15 AM

At the risk of sounding obtuse, I'm not remotely technically-minded so I don't know what a CMS is. Or the "back end" of my site.

Have you thought of hiring someone to fix things for you?

#17 jeepster

jeepster

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 8 2009, 10:15 AM) View Post
Have you thought of hiring someone to fix things for you?

I actually had a "reputable" SEO company supposedly sorting this out...until I realised 4 months later that they had saddled me with the office junior who didn't know his a** from his elbow.
I'm not averse to hiring someone but I'd need to know the outlay was worth it.
Specifically:
So I install an xml sitemap and Google caches the missing 1,200 pages on my site - does that improve the SERP of my homepage, which is my main landing page? (albeit I can see how, with an extra 1,200 cached pages, I may possibly net more long-tail traffic).

#18 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:27 PM

An XML sitemap isn't necessarily going to lead to getting the rest of your pages indexed. What it'll do is help you get pages indexed if the search engine wasn't able to get to them before, for some reason. It won't help you get them indexed if the engine could have gotten to them before but made no effort to do so.

If you were to indicate in the sitemap that those pages were to be given a higher priority than other pages, that might help them get indexed, but it would probably lead to other pages getting dropped.

See, the engines don't usually grab an entire site, especially if there are thousands of pages involved, unless they've got reason to do so, like if they deem the site to be an important authority.

#19 jeepster

jeepster

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:36 AM

OK, fair enough. But my question remains: If I did hypothetically succeed in getting most/all of the uncached 1200 pages cached, does that have any effect on the SERP of my homepage (and/or other important landing pages)?

#20 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:46 AM

It's not a question that can be answered in a vacuum. It depends.

If all of those 1200 pages link back to your home page and if they have any PageRank to pass back to it and if those links use your targeted keyword phrases, they might have an incremental positive effect. Nothing earth shattering mind you. Probably not enough to jump through a lot of hoops over honestly.

But the trick there remains exactly as Bob has already laid it out.

To make it worth the effort you'll need to pump up the authority of those MIA pages. An xml sitemap isn't going to do it. Only then would it even be a maybe that they'd help out your home page.

#21 jeepster

jeepster

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Nov 9 2009, 06:46 AM) View Post
It's not a question that can be answered in a vacuum. It depends.

If all of those 1200 pages link back to your home page and if they have any PageRank to pass back to it and if those links use your targeted keyword phrases, they might have an incremental positive effect. Nothing earth shattering mind you. Probably not enough to jump through a lot of hoops over honestly.

But the trick there remains exactly as Bob has already laid it out.

To make it worth the effort you'll need to pump up the authority of those MIA pages. An xml sitemap isn't going to do it. Only then would it even be a maybe that they'd help out your home page.

OK, thanks very much for ironing that out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.