• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Creating Site Maps

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 JESSED

JESSED

HR 2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:56 AM

I am not a webmaster or a programmer but how do you go about creating a site map for a website, I was curious? I just read a post that said you create an xml document / file but they didn't really go into the details. For example, lets say I have a huge ecommerce website with tons of category pages and sub category, how would I create this file and how would I go about making sure the file automatically updates when I add neww sub-categories, etc? It would be tough to manually add all of these hundreds of links so I am just wondering how people go about doing it?

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:47 AM

There are lots of tools out there for building sitemaps. I use this one. It's free, and it works.

#3 JESSED

JESSED

HR 2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:59 PM

Wouldn't that be used for creating and submitting a Google site map? What I was talking about was an actual live site map up on your site......?

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:16 PM

If that's the case, it doesn't need to be an XML file. Just create a page that helps people navigate through the site. If necessary, break it up into a few pages. On a large, dynamic site you can probably set up a template that will pull all of your page titles and URLs.

#5 JESSED

JESSED

HR 2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:54 PM

That makes sense...not sure why the originally post said to create an xml file as it was talking about a website site map, not a Google site map.....

Thanks qwerty

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:03 PM

What was the original post?

(And this is why we tell people not to read elsewhere!)

That said, I do think you can probably plug an xml feed into an html page.

#7 bdtech1

bdtech1

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 1 2007, 10:03 PM) View Post

Speaking of XML site maps. Should that be linked to your webpage as well or is uploading it to the search engines good enough?

I was told by a prominent SEO company based in my area that the XML site map should be linked to website as well. Is this accurate?

Thanks,

Beth Deville

#8 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:16 AM

Well, you have to give the search engine spiders some way to find your xml sitemap.

Given this requirement you can either submit the sitemap to each of the engines, link to it from your site nav somehwere, or provide the xml sitemap location in your robots.txt file. Any of the three will work.

#9 JESSED

JESSED

HR 2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 1 2007, 11:03 PM) View Post

Original post was from emarketingperformance.com and the name of the post was "9 tips for creating a site map for visitors and spiders." Not an extremely comprehensive post which was why it lead me to ask my original questions of how would you create this file. In the post the author states "An .xml document should be added to your site’s root directory containing links to all site pages. This .xml file should then be referenced should be compiled and placed into a proper .xml document which should be uploaded into the root directory." So I was wondering how you create this site map file for your website and why the author referenced it being done as an .xml file, especially if you have an extremely large ecommerce site, and how would you set it up to automate the adding and deleting of pages, or would this need to be done manually? Not talking about Google sitemaps here but a sitemap for your actual site.

@Randy - possibly silly question here but if you create this sitemap file / page, and put a link to it in your navigation on your site, would it still be necessary to include the location in your robots.txt file?

#10 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:53 AM

@Randy - possibly silly question here but if you create this sitemap file / page, and put a link to it in your navigation on your site, would it still be necessary to include the location in your robots.txt file?

Newp.

It doesn't matter how they get to it, as long as they can.

Personally, if it were me I'd still have the universally accepted line in the robots.txt file since it's so easy to do. But it's not strictly necessary.

#11 jeepster

jeepster

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:46 PM

Apologies for bringing this up again, but basic xml sitemap questions from a complete novice:
I've a website in which clients load new pages fairly frequently, so the content changes often. The majority of the pages have dynamic URLs. So:

Do I NEED an xml sitemap for SEO purposes?
Can someone point me towards an idiot's guide ? (it might still be a bit too complicated for me)
Are they automatically updated whenever I add any new pages (static or dynamic) to my site?

Thanks

#12 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:26 AM

Are they automatically updated whenever I add any new pages (static or dynamic) to my site?

Only if your CMS or whatever you're using automatically updates your xml sitemap file.

Can someone point me towards an idiot's guide ? (it might still be a bit too complicated for me)

I'm not sure there is such a thing, unless whatever you're using to create the pages for your site already has something automated built into it. Care to share what back end you're using? That'll help us tell you if something is already built for that system to created xml sitemaps.

Chances are pretty high that you don't even need anything special if the site is already getting crawled and indexed. I don't use an xml sitemap on any of my sites, yet new pages on all of them get picked up pretty quickly. Usually within a day or two tops.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:40 AM

Do I NEED an xml sitemap for SEO purposes?

No, you don't NEED one.

#14 SmithJohn

SmithJohn

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

Which system can make sitemap itself?

#15 jeepster

jeepster

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Oct 18 2009, 06:26 AM) View Post
Only if your CMS or whatever you're using automatically updates your xml sitemap file.
I'm not sure there is such a thing, unless whatever you're using to create the pages for your site already has something automated built into it. Care to share what back end you're using? That'll help us tell you if something is already built for that system to created xml sitemaps.

Chances are pretty high that you don't even need anything special if the site is already getting crawled and indexed. I don't use an xml sitemap on any of my sites, yet new pages on all of them get picked up pretty quickly. Usually within a day or two tops.

Sorry, I've been away; apologies for bumping this up again..

I've around 3,000 pages on my site. However, poor URLs & site architecture mean about 1,200 have never been cached by Google, hence my interest in an xml (& html) sitemap. What I'm not clear on is:
* Can getting the rest of the pages cached improve the SERP of my homepage? (Because, playing Devil's Advocate, I'm guessing an unscrupulous webmaster could simply auto-generate tens of thousands of spam pages to be cached).
* At the risk of sounding obtuse, I'm not remotely technically-minded so I don't know what a CMS is. Or the "back end" of my site. It's homes and villas abroad (dot) com, if that helps.
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.