• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Measuring Keyword Competition

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

#76 Nazarite

Nazarite

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 12:06 PM

hey, great advice! never thought of using the Alexa toolbar! thanks

#77 DanThies

DanThies

Keyword Super Freak

• 865 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE(JamesW @ Sep 15 2004, 10:47 AM)
I like to use the Weighted Count factor. This equals relevancy times search count.

When calculating this amount I often have terms that are 30% relevant at the top because of the weighted count.

Would you a) remove all terms less than x% relevant or cool.gif change the way that the weighted count is calculated?

We recommend using a weighted count, to tell you which search terms reach your target audience the best. If a term is 30% relevant, but still at the top in terms of the "weighted count," then it's still the best way to reach your target audience.

Another way to think about this is that if 30% of searchers see that search term as relevant, an even greater percentage of your visitors will be looking for content related to that term. If you must create content, you may as well "optimize" those pages.

This also applies to terms that are very generic and/or competitive - even if you think you can't compete for rankings, or shouldn't compete because of low relevance, you may still need content for your visitors.

#78 AdamClark

AdamClark

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:28 AM

Hi,

I have just read this entire thread and am having a dense moment and would just like some clarification. I have a client that wants to rank for the search phrase:

package holidays

They are an Irish company so they would like to rank in both the web search and the pages from Ireland search. If I am understanding this thread correctly I would use:

intitle:"package holidays" inanchor:"package holidays" to give a rough idea of competition.

This gives me results of 7,250 in the general search and 37 for the irish based search.

So is this telling me that 7,250 other pages are competing for the term 'package holidays' across the web, and 37 other pages are competing within Ireland?

Just want to make sure I really understand this very useful thread.

Thanks

Adam

#79 bkernst

bkernst

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:05 AM

I use allintitle: <keywords here with no quotes or commas>
This gives me the number of pages with all of those words in any order in the page title, which when compared to the same search without "allintitle:" shows me just how competitive the targeted phrase really is.
I found that I cannot always target very specific phrases, since many searches are slight variations.

Bernhard

#80 DanThies

DanThies

Keyword Super Freak

• 865 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 02:33 PM

At this point, phrase searches with intitle and inanchor aren't working, so you would do:
intitle:package intitle:holidays inanchor:package inanchor:holidays
To get the # of pages that had the terms in both the page title and link text.

<added>Good stuff, Bernhard</added>

#81 jpmuofu

jpmuofu

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 07:06 PM

Does anyone know of a tool that uses "allintitle:" and "intitle: inanchor:" to generate a KEI report on a list of keywords?

Obviously, WT does a rough version of this but it is just on the aggregate number of hits on a keyword not on these more telling selectors.

As I'm sure you all have noticed doing this type of analysis manually is very time consuming on lengthy lists of potential keywords. Seems like it would be an obvious tool to build but I just haven't been able to find anybody out there doing it.

Thanks,

JPMUOFU

#82 DanThies

DanThies

Keyword Super Freak

• 865 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 01:02 AM

We have a script to do that, JPMUOFU. It runs competition metrics and spits out a spreadsheet. I've got someone looking into integrating it directly into Excel for us.

#83 jpmuofu

jpmuofu

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 12:20 PM

DanThies,

Please let me know when you have that tool ready to go. I would be very interested in trying it out.

If you need a beta tester I would be excited to do that as well.

Any idea on an ETA?

Thanks,

JPMUOFU

#84 DanThies

DanThies

Keyword Super Freak

• 865 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:17 PM

Late January, most likely. I'm not sure how it will be distributed, though. These tools cost a lot to develop, and we do it so that we can deliver a valuable product to our clients.

#85 sweimh

sweimh

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:19 PM

If you're serving a local market, it's hardly worth worrying about the global competition, you just have to make sure you have the "local" keywords (city name, neighborhood, whatever) on your site.

Have a quick question about targeting area-specific searches.

The quote above seems to suggest focusing on the main keywords and let the rest of the site take care of the location targeting. So, intead of trying to have keywords in copy that say.. "smallvile relocation assistance" .. i can just focus on "relocation assistance" and let the copy in the rest of the site take care of identifying "smallvile" part of the search. Am I reading it correctly?

I'm just a bit confused.. :doh:

tia

#86 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,573 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 09:23 AM

Welcome, sweimh bye1.gif

That's going to depend on the level of competition. Do a search on [location] [keyword phrase] and see what comes up. Take a look at whether the top pages are putting it all together as a single phrase.

You should also do an intitle: and inanchor: search to see if anyone's actually making an effort to optimize for the full phrase.

#87 sweimh

sweimh

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 03:44 PM

Thank you, qwerty, for the reply.

an exact intitle search returns less than 10 returns and a loose search returns over 11000. Similar result w/ inanchor search

so, in this case, ... actually, i'm still not sure what to do.

Should I try to incorporate the exact phrase into copy to match up with competition?

OR

I don't have to worry about the exact phrase that much because the regional competition isn't so high..

[just re-read your comment. if i look at top returns for the {location}{keywords} searches, it seems like only 1 out of the 10 is using the exact phrase. So I am probably going to guess that the exact phrase + regional isn't as important in this case.]

Edited by sweimh, 09 December 2004 - 03:50 PM.

#88 Srvwiz

Srvwiz

Sourav Sharma

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 09:19 PM

Hi Dan,

These are useful information. Thanks for It.thumbup1.gif I will try all these as I am new into this industry but still I am going at a brisk pace.

I will contact you for more handy tips.

My focus is google, I have researched a bit and I will tell you some of the google secrets later, after my review on it.

The only thing which I would like to say on this is that anchor text plays a very important part, how???? I will tell you later.

Chill

Souravamant. cheers.gif

#89 randfish

randfish

Daily SEO Show Anchor

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE(jpmuofu @ Nov 19 2004, 08:06 PM)
Does anyone know of a tool that uses "allintitle:" and "intitle: inanchor:" to generate a KEI report on a list of keywords?

jpmuofu - The keyword difficulty tool in my signature measures the intitle, inanchor as part of a list of other factors. It doesn't process multiple phrases at a time, and the queue means it can take up to 4 minutes per term to calculate, but if you have just a few terms to compare, it might help.

#90 DanThies

DanThies

Keyword Super Freak

• 865 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE(randfish @ Feb 21 2005, 06:38 PM)
jpmuofu - The keyword difficulty tool in my signature measures the intitle, inanchor as part of a list of other factors. It doesn't process multiple phrases at a time, and the queue means it can take up to 4 minutes per term to calculate, but if you have just a few terms to compare, it might help.
View Post

Randfish, your tool might be slower, but the resulting estimate is worth a whole lot more than KEI. KEI just combines a bunch of numbers to make another one, and it's not any more useful than the numbers you started with were by themselves. Your tool gives a pretty good SWAG at the level of effort required to get in front of searchers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!