• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Measuring Keyword Competition

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

#166 Pamela

Pamela

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:32 AM

It just seems like a concrete value is being used to calculate relevance in the original description. But what you say makes sense..
Thanks identity!

#167 identity

identity

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE(Pamela @ May 6 2007, 11:32 AM) View Post
concrete value

Understand what you are saying, but I don't think there is such an animal when it comes to SEO/M. All numbers in this industry are a constantly moving target, and ebb and flow of numbers. A number you pull today may be different tomorrow, a number you assign to something may be very subjective and different than what someone else would assign, or that you would assign in a similar instance.

In many cases, this is also because there is a heavy amount of extrapolation going on... data gets pulled from a sample that represents a few percentage points of the entire data set. Is it ideal? Heck no, but in most cases, it's all we have, and in most cases, it provides at least a fairly reliable good start in the right direction.

#168 DanThies

DanThies

Keyword Super Freak

• 865 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE(Pamela @ Apr 29 2007, 12:17 PM) View Post
Hi! This is a very interesting approach. How do you formulate your factors for weighted popularity? i.e.-how do you determine what percentage of searchers would find the site relevant?

Thanks,
Pamela

Sorry to be so late in replying to this, didn't see it!

The keyword strategy video (the other pinned thread in the [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?showforum=30]keyword research forum[/url] here) offers a few approaches to assessing the relevance of a search term. As Jill has said many times, the right thing is to target the keywords that are relevant. The idea of weighted popularity is intended to help us prioritize our use of resources, other than the content we need.

#169 Jeff K

Jeff K

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE(DanThies @ May 17 2007, 09:56 AM) View Post
Sorry to be so late in replying to this, didn't see it!

The keyword strategy video (the other pinned thread in the [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?showforum=30]keyword research forum[/url] here) offers a few approaches to assessing the relevance of a search term. As Jill has said many times, the right thing is to target the keywords that are relevant. The idea of weighted popularity is intended to help us prioritize our use of resources, other than the content we need.

Dan, the link to your one-on-one coaching allowed me to go to check out. Are you still offering that service or are you done? I am very interested and need a little help.

Thanks,
Jeff

#170 Jessi

Jessi

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:24 AM

Hi Dan

Kindly reply me clearly how to check keyword competion because i cannot understand ''allintitle'' how to applly it and were to apply ??

and also answer me how to raise my pageviews most higher now is there any tips and ideas ?.Please reply us back .

Regards
Jessi

Edited by Randy, 28 March 2008 - 07:39 AM.
Removed long quote.

#171 bernarde

bernarde

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:29 AM

Thanks Dan for the excellent advice - I tried it immediately. I must say getting more links than the leading competitors is quite tricky, especially for a startup site. Of course if you could get higher quality liks this would help.

I see my competitor has many inbound links from signature links (eg. powered by xxx.com) in the footer of sites. Do these links have any value?

#172 rayjoy

rayjoy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:27 PM

[quote name='DanThies' date='Jan 23 2004, 10:52 PM' post='36901']

Now, let's see how many incoming links the top ranked sites actually have. You may need to match their counts, or get higher quality links, in order to compete.
You can look at 'em with the Alexa toolbar installed, and it will show you, or you can do a "link:domain" search on Google.

Dan, I tried this ... you can do a "link:domain" search on Google. ... but found very few links to my site. I know for a fact there are other links out there that don't show up in this Google search. Why would Google miss them?

#173 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:56 PM

Rayjoy, please see the pinned post in the link building forum about how Google's link command doesn't work.

#174 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,614 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:58 PM

They're not missing them. They're intentionally leaving them out. If you add the site to webmaster tools and verify it, you'll get lots more backlink information.

You can also check in Yahoo. Obviously, you can't assume that the two SEs are aware of exactly the same links, but at least Y will give you a lot more information.

#175 Peprmint

Peprmint

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:16 PM

I use the google keyword tool to check out competition on particular keywords. That being said, I was just advised that this information is not accurate. Here's what I did. I typed in New York personal injury lawyer and it came up with a very high advertiser competition, but a low search volume. So I presume that more law firms think this is an important keyword, but the searchers may not. I was recently told that the advertiser competition volume is actually for the keyword personal injury lawyer, not new york personal injury lawyer and that the search volume reflects the number of times someone actually typed in new york personal injury lawyer compared to personal injury lawyer.

Yikes.

How confusing. Can you please tell me if this in fact correct....that is if I didn't confuse you.

Thank you.

#176 SEO FF

SEO FF

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:10 PM

Being that this thread was started in 2004 and most of the preceding posts are a little dated, how accurate is this info currently?

I am trying not to start a new thread but I have researched terms that were most relevant. I actually wound up getting great rankings for a term that seemed to have 800,000-900,000 results. I know these #'s don't say much but being ranked in the top 3 for this term did not yield any results. How do you determine if a keyterm is going to deliver traffic?

I've used long tails including local cities, states, etc with root keyterms and can't seem to get the traffic. What is the deciding factor to use a term? Generally I use the "keyword" (keyword in quotes) to determine how many sites are targeting the keyterm im interested in. I use under 100,000 as a gauge for competitiveness (if its under 100,000, its competitive, but not unachievable. I wind down to a long tail term per page of the site and build content around the terms and attempt links (that's for another thread....). I thought I picked good terms based on how many pages contained the same terms and being in the top 5 for some, even some # 1's. The problem is, little traffic which tells me that people don't often search for the terms im targeting. It's now well down the road and time/money is lost and I want to be sure to get this right. Any help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!