• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Measuring Keyword Competition

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

#136 Trellian

Trellian

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:23 PM

lmao.gif
I like that idea... might give that a go.

Cheers
David

#137 Mong

Mong

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:28 AM

Short question:
How do you know approx search count/month of keyword ?

Technically Overture represent 23.4% of overall searches.
So real count could be calculated by 100/23.4 but data of all other services don't match with the number.

So how do you know the approx search count ?

#138 Trellian

Trellian

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:41 PM

The threory is.. is you know what the total number of searches are globally (which is measured by a few sources), and as we know how many we have, we can then work out what we do not have and calculate the predicted daily or monthly search counts, based on our data.

#139 yustas

yustas

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:44 AM

Hi,

I have been reading this forum for some time now, but I believe this is my first
post. I would like to thank you for such a great forum and a friendly atmosphere.

QUOTE(DanThies @ Apr 2 2004, 04:44 AM)
If anyone is interested in seeing our competition metrics system as a public resource (bring your own API key), let me know. Maybe we'll do that if there's interest.
View Post

Hi Dan. Is this tool available by any chance?

Thanks,
-Yustas

#140 ewc21

ewc21

Hong Kong SEO

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:05 AM

Welcome yustas! hi.gif

#141 yustas

yustas

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 02:12 AM

QUOTE(Sharon & Roy @ Apr 12 2005, 05:13 PM)
Step 3: Arrange your list according to the amount of competition by using Google's < intitle: > and < allinanchor: > operators...

Your Friends,

Sharon and Roy Montero
View Post

Hi Sharon and Roy Montero,

Among others, your advice has been very helpful. Thank you.
I'm working on evaluating a vertical for a blogging opportunity and have a list of thousands potential keywords. It seems clear that to understand what the real competition is in a given area it is necessary to evaluate the keywords using Google's < intitle: > and < allinanchor: > operators.

However, fetching all these keywords and their combinations manually is very time consuming. I'm curios if there's a way to automate this process. I have been
evaluating different SEO tools and software packages, but so far had no luck finding one that can do this.

Thanks,
-Yustas

#142 Mong

Mong

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 08:40 AM

Checking for allinurl rank in google.
Does the rank has any relation with competitiveness of keyword?

#143 yustas

yustas

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE(Mong @ Apr 14 2006, 06:40 AM)
Checking for allinurl rank in google.
Does the rank has any relation with competitiveness of keyword?
View Post

Some seem to think that having relevant keywords in a url may give a little extra when
trying to rank for the same keywords.

#144 Mong

Mong

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 01:23 AM

Is it for Yahoo & MSN or Google.

I think it might be true for YM not for G>

#145 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:54 AM

No matter how many times we state this... hysterical.gif

Any benefit from having the search term in the URL (eg domain name, file path or filename) is going to be miniscule at best. It's certainly not a trick that is going to give you some huge bump if you do nothing else.

Here's the one and only time it can help.

When there are links to the page that use the keyworded URL address as the Anchor Text.

That's it.

The same advantage could be attained by simply getting those same links and making sure they contain relevant anchor text. In fact, some would say that a link with well constructed anchor text would be better than a keyworded url as the anchor text because the anchor text is more specific and doesn't have all of the extraneous stuff.

#146 yustas

yustas

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 02:45 AM

Hi,

I was reading in another thread here Dan was saying that intitle:"phase search" inanchor:"phase search" doesn't always work right. The alternative would be to search
like this: intitle:phase intitle:search inanchor:phase inanchor:search

How would I know if the results that I get with either are correct?
For example, I did these two searches and got two different results.

intitle:"diet reviews" inanchor:"diet reviews" - 2,410
intitle:diet intitle:reviews inanchor:diet inanchor:reviews - 595

What am I doing wrong? Which result is the right one?

Thanks,
-Yustas

#147 PeterHarrison

PeterHarrison

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE(DanThies @ Feb 22 2005, 01:48 AM)
Randfish, your tool might be slower, but the resulting estimate is worth a whole lot more than KEI. KEI just combines a bunch of numbers to make another one, and it's not any more useful than the numbers you started with were by themselves. Your tool gives a pretty good SWAG at the level of effort required to get in front of searchers.
View Post

Dan I'm afraid I can't agree with this. Everyone appears to have forgotten what KEI is so I think a little Economics 101 is called for here.
The basis of most modern economic theories is the Supply/Demand ratio;

Low Supply + High Demand = Good Business Opportunity

KEI is an application of this for Keyword Research - KEI = Keyword Effectiveness Index.

In the case of Keyword Research:

Supply = Number of Competing Results
Demand = Search Volume

So, Low Number of Competing Results + High Search Volume = Good Keyword or Phrase

KEI = (Demand^2)/Supply

Now we have defined our terms we can apply them to some keyword research, firstly we need to define our Supply and Demand values:

Supply1 = Google broad match
Demand1 = Overture Search Volume

So if we take our keyword list and apply KEI values to it and sort the list by KEI in descending order we can say that the keywords at the top of the list will have a higher Demand compared to Supply than the keywords at the bottom of the list.

The value (or relevance) of this information is dependent on the value (or relevance) of the Supply and Demand figures obtained.

Personally, I tend to use:

Supply2 = Google intitle:keyword phrase
Demand2 = Word Tracker Count

This gives me a KEI that, IMO, has more relevance than above.
The KEI is only as good as the data that it is computed from and is only applicable for comparing keywords from the same list - you cannot treat it as an absolute value (i.e. "any keyword with a KEI of greater than 10 is good" is obviously untrue), I tend to focus on the keywords in the top 10%-20% of my sorted list (after I have filtered out all the rubbish).

It is very misleading to tell people to ignore KEI, you may as well tell them to ignore WT/KD/Google Supply and Demand figures and not bother to do any keyword competition research beyond finding a list of keywords - just get a bunch of related keywords and use them all indiscriminately - they all have equal value.

For an excellent explanation of KEI have a look at www.wordtracker.com/database_help/keihelp.html

#148 DayWalker44

DayWalker44

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 03:25 AM

Hi Dan & everyone else,

It's my very first post here on HighRankings and Keyword Research was my first destination. Dan, this is probably a lil too late but thanks for the good tips on the very first post of this thread.

I started on the first post of this thread and am making my way through the entire thread. Never knew about 'allintitle', 'intitle, & 'inanchor' search on Google prior to this.

Find it very helpful in knowing the real competition for a specific keyword. Thanks again. This also goes out to the rest of the nice people here that shares freely.

Looking forward to learn more and be able to contribute back as well. Cheers!

#149 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:14 AM

Welcome DayWalker ! hi.gif

#150 DayWalker44

DayWalker44

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome Randy. Btw, cute pic of smiley with waving hand you've got there! smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!