• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Search Engine Optimization: A Primer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 compar

compar

Just Purrfect

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 05:58 PM

I wrote this two part article for the InfoPool. It is obviously aimed at those seeking a basic understanding of how SEO is done and whether it is possible. I don't think any members of this forum are going to learn anything from this article -- Parts 1 & 2. But I would be interested in your comments both as to accuracy and style.

I suggest it as reading for my first time SEO clients. It has also been picked up and republished by at least one other web site. The article can be found: www.compar.com/infopool/articles/news1vs16.html

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 06:37 PM

Hey Bob,

Just read part 1, that was very good!

You just gotta add High RankingsŪ Advisor to your links, to go with the old RankWrite link! :drunk:

Jill

#3 compar

compar

Just Purrfect

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 08:43 PM

Hey Bob,

Just read part 1, that was very good!

You just gotta add High RankingsŪ Advisor to your links, to go with the old RankWrite link! :drunk:

Jill

I can do that. Thanks for having a look. I appreciate your input.

#4 market seeker

market seeker

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 10:59 PM

Very wel written and I have bookmarked to use when someone asks me to explain SEO.

Two things that stand out are:
1. 10 different SEOs will give different answers. I don't think that is correct, for the most part I think most SEOs are on the same page. I think your statement would give the wrong impression to a potential client.

2. You gave examples of the reason for linking only as reciprocal links. What about writing something that is informational (IS THAT A WORD) :drunk: to other sites so they would link to you.

Oh and one more thing, Inktomi still uses meta key word tags.

all in all though, good.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 11:06 PM

Market Seeker, not sure I agree with you on some of your comments:

1. 10 different SEOs will give different answers. I don't think that is correct, for the most part I think most SEOs are on the same page. I think your statement would give the wrong impression to a potential client.

I thought the same thing when I first read that, but then Bob qualified it with this statement a paragraph or so later:

Despite the ever changing rules, and despite the diversity of opinion and methods advocated by the SEO experts, there are some basic principles, which when properly applied will get your site better placement in the search engine ranking.

Oh and one more thing, Inktomi still uses meta key word tags.

Still obtains information from it, yes. Giving any weight to it? No. Only if there's nothing else to go by.

:drunk:

Jill

#6 market seeker

market seeker

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 11:42 PM

I did read the qualification and agree with you, I still felt a little uneasy about the statement, I'm probably overreacting.

#7 compar

compar

Just Purrfect

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 06:26 AM

I did read the qualification and agree with you, I still felt a little uneasy about the statement,  I'm probably overreacting.

Let me try and explain why I bothered with that statement. This is aimed at potential SEO customers and one of my most common experiences in early discussions with these people is that they have been told all kinds of different information. Often this has confused them and they don't know what to believe. I'm trying to explain how this diversity of opinion is possible without necessarily having to criticize or put down their previous "experts". If I can convince them that there is a logical explanation for thier confusion this seems to settle them down and let them focus on what I am telling them.

I could soften the statement a little by changing to something like this "put a group of SEO (Search Engine Optimization) experts in a room and you may get variety of different answers."

Comments please.

#8 deborah2002

deborah2002

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 10:38 AM

Compar, I think it's very well written and to the point. The "cliff's notes" to show potential clients is pretty accurate, and gives them enough info without overwhelming them.

Good article and well written :eek:

deb

#9 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 04:15 PM

Overall, a well-done article. 'Splains a very complex subject clearly without overwhelming the "newbie". I know that you have ot leave out a lot of detail when writing for a non-technical audience, but you've caught the gist of the matter very well.

One nit to pick: in the 6th paragraph of Part 2, first sentence, there's a typo

> However submitting to a directory is not a simply matter.

"Simply" should be "simple".

(I copyedit in my spare time. Picking nits goes with the territory.) :)

Probably falls in with having to leave out extraneous information, and perhaps your audience is only commercial sites so it wouldn't be appropriate to mention anyway, but Zeal is a free "backdoor" into Looksmart for non-commercial sites.

Anyway, I think the article could be very useful for explaining SEO to a client who has little to no prior experience with it. Good resource! :applause: :thumbup: :aloha:

#10 market seeker

market seeker

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 04:56 PM

mabey you should use spell check before pointing out other's typos. Or is ot a word.

The above said with grin on my face, only in fun.

#11 compar

compar

Just Purrfect

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 05:09 PM

mabey you should use spell check before pointing out other's typos.  Or is ot a word.

The above said with grin on my face, only in fun.

Thanks for the heads up. I do use a spell checker but nonetheless things slip through. Did you find the "ot" in the article? I just revisited it and can't find it. But I will correct it if you can tell me where it is.

Thanks again.

#12 market seeker

market seeker

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 05:13 PM

No it was in Torko's post telling you about your typos. :aloha:

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 05:13 PM

The "ot" is in torka's post.

I know you were just poking fun, market seeker, but there's a big difference between typos on a forum and typos in a published article. Forums are informal and typos are no big deal. They don't reflect badly on the poster (imo).

On the other hand, a published article really should not have any typos if it is to have credibility. Sure, they do slip through now and again, but I always recommend that one should hire a professional proofreader for articles and newsletters and stuff.

That said, I've had people find typos on my Websites at times. I have a proofreader for my newsletter, but I tend to write stuff late at night for my Website content. That always gets me in trouble! :aloha:

Jill

#14 compar

compar

Just Purrfect

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 05:49 PM

No it was in Torko's post telling you about your typos.  :aloha:

I got it! Thanks to Torko then for the heads up. I didn't read her letter in sufficient detail I will make the change immediately.

#15 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 10:07 PM

Whoops! That's usually what happens, you know -- try to point out a typo for somebody else and make one yourself. *SIGH*

I guess I could plead lack of sleep and needing a new glasses prescription? ;)

==Torka

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!