• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Best Practices For Image Optimization

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 websage

websage

WebSage

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:34 PM

I have not been on this forum for years but I hope this place has maintained the good quality.

I have been away from the SEO work for a while, having focused on web analytics, but now I need to help for a volunteer project which aims to optimize a certain images, photos, to be precise, for top rankings in Google Image search and other image search engines.

I would appreciate any best practices on how to make sure that an image (not just the web page containing the image) ranks highly on the image search engines.

Thanks in advance,

Mitko Gerensky-Greene

mitko@websage.net

#2 Connie

Connie

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:49 PM

Of course you will get different opinions. IMHO all you can do is name your images correctly, and use the correct alt text.

#3 Betty

Betty

Jeep Girl

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:09 PM

It seems like having them on a page with similar text would be helpful - but I've not tested that.

#4 raj_freind

raj_freind

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:24 PM

Try to keep image format in .gif or .jpeg ...
Reduce image size as much as you can ...
Use search terms for image name ...
Use Alt Tag simmiler to image name ...
If image has link, gives advantage ...

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:24 AM

Use Alt Tag simmiler to image name ...

Alt attribute

If image has link, gives advantage ...
Not necessarily. Yahoo seems to use the alt text only if it is a link and then it is weighted for the linked page.
Google uses the alt text for both linked and unlinked images and currently it seems to be as on-page content only.
MSN currently does not have the test pages indexed so I have no idea how they treat them.

#6 bermuda

bermuda

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:23 AM

Alt and the title tags may be considered as on page optimization factors but they simply cannot do magic in the search engine rankings.

#7 solidghost

solidghost

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE(bermuda @ Dec 4 2006, 10:23 AM)
Alt and the title tags may be considered as on page optimization factors but they simply cannot do magic in the search engine rankings.
View Post

Hmmm.....why title tag really help in onpage optimization?
I have seen a lot of sites without the title tag but with the alt tags.

#8 Bill Slawski

Bill Slawski

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:08 AM

I try to use captions with images that are included on a page for their content value (as opposed to images that are being used as part of navigation, a logo, or pure decoration).

For those captions, I try to include the text near the image, within the same block level element.

#9 jehochman

jehochman

Jonathan Hochman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:26 AM

OFFTOPIC:
Speaking of images, I compliment the posters on this thread for having lots of interesting avatars.

On Wednesday there's an SES panel on optimizing image search. For those who can't attend, notes will be posted, somewhere.

#10 websage

websage

WebSage

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:43 AM

I would very much appreciate a summary of what was presented at the SES panel on image search optimization! Thanks in advance,
Mitko

#11 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:01 AM

Lisa Barone has posted a summary over on Bruce Clay's blog.

#12 chrisbiber

chrisbiber

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:03 AM

Too bad that JPEG 2000 is not (yet?) supported by the browsers. Among other nifty things, this image format allows for the inclusion of XML metadata right in the image itself.
IMO, this would do wonders for images searches. However, from what I understand, there are a number of hurdles that have prevented this format from being adopted.

Does anyone here have any insight into the state of things? I haven't asked the SEs recently...

Chris

#13 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:43 AM

I've not heard anything interesting about JPEG 2000 over the last couple of months Chris. It's an interesting concept, but like you said there are several hurdles to overcome. For the users the most important being potential security implications.

It'll make it there eventually most likley. But even then I wouldn't put a lot of stock in it from the search engine perspective. From what little I understand 2000 will make it way too easy to slip totally irrelevant info into the xml data of the image, thus probably relegating it to something in the neighborhood of how the meta keywords tag is used by the engines.

Maybe not quite as bad at meta keywords at first, but once it starts being heavily abused... (and you know it will be abused if certain people think they can gain some sort of advantage.)

#14 webulletin

webulletin

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:51 AM

Keep relevency between your page content and alt tags for images. Thats the best thing you can do it.

#15 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:54 AM

alt attributes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.