• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

*rant*- News Today

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 09:17 PM

I typically try and avoid the news because it is too depressing. Unfortunately, I'm married to a CNN junkie so the TV catches my attention from time to time, like it or not. Today, I caught the story on the shooting at city hall in NYC.

When did it become standard practice to show dead bodies on TV? Whatever happened to respect and concern for the family of that person?

I'm sure cable news had a lot to do with it... and the ratings they got because people wanted to see more graphic coverage. IMO, all it does is anesthetize us to the reality of the situation... oh well, more people killed.

Maybe I'm not hardened enough because everytime I see a body, I think about that person's mother or father or child watching it over and over on TV...

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 10:12 PM

I refuse to watch the news too. Or as I like to call it "the murders." When they can't find any local murders to discuss they seem to scour the earth looking for some.

No thanks. It definitely gives a tainted view of the world. Most people are not murders.

And you're right, Scottie, they shouldn't be showing dead people on TV.

:nerd:

Jill

#3 wanderer

wanderer

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 10:33 PM

I'm not alone! :nerd: People give me strange looks when I say I don't watch the news.

I feel the same way - too depressing. Isn't there enough bad stuff to worry about?

They actually showed that on tv? How crass, how insensitive, how .... (I can't think of the right word - have to find my thesaurus)

#4 The_Bartender

The_Bartender

Coach

• 0 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 11:00 PM

Well, to take our minds off the murderous aspects of human nature, who wants a drink? Serving whatever the hell you want... And then some..

Hmmm.. I think that's my new catchphrase..

Serving Whatever The Hell You Want.. And Then Some!

Ah, the beauty.. :nerd:

#5 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 11:07 PM

Yeah barkeep, give me another of whashever I'm drinking.... and then some.

And turn the channel on the tv...

Welcome Wanderer! :bye: Have a drink- on me :nerd:

#6 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 11:40 PM

I don't own a TV.
:trash:

#7 Gary Bagshawe

Gary Bagshawe

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 02:20 PM

I spent several years working as a photo-journalist and covered some pretty horrible jobs to boot. Some of them did entail the photography of dead and dying people and these photographs were used in nearly every major newspaper throughout the world. I am not proud of the fact but what you have to consider is, If people just hear or read about a terrible situation in newspapers or on television then they are not likely to do anything about it. If confronted with graphic images then people will and have done something about it and what has been done has probably saved many more lives and and prevented such tradgedies re-occuring.

#8 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 02:26 PM

If confronted with graphic images then people will and have done something about it and what has been done has probably saved many more lives and and prevented such tradgedies re-occuring.

Do you think people do something about it or do they just get de-sensitized? I'm afraid (with kids in particular) that it's not any more real to them than the shoot-em-up video games or a gory movie.

I think it's a great point... I just hope it's true!

(BTW- welcome Gary! ;) Great picture~)

#9 Thanol

Thanol

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 04:29 PM

I thought I read something in the paper that said showing dead bodies on TV was different from printing, which is considered bad journalism, them because the video feed only lasts a few seconds.

#10 Gary Bagshawe

Gary Bagshawe

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 03:26 AM

Yes I do believe that people do "DO" something about it. I realise that the young generation of today are somewhat more de-sensitised to such things due to the video games they play etc but a picture really does say a thousand words.

#11 peter_d

peter_d

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 04:28 AM

I think the context is important.

Showing dead bodies for the sake of sensationalism is clearly abhorrent.

Showing dead bodies to make a political point (i.e. "look at these children killed during war, what do you think of that"?) certainly can have journalistic merit.

It just might stir some people out of their comfortable chairs....

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!