• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Send Them On!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#16 compar

compar

Just Purrfect

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 02:15 PM

And in a continuation of the last post does the fact that they don't display links from pages less than PR4 mean that they value these links even less than links from Link Farms, some of which they do display?

#17 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 02:20 PM

The question is do they place a lower value on links from a lower ranked site?

Yes, of course they do. That's what PageRank is for and what it tells us.

That said, today's PR2 site is tomorrow's PageRank 8 site, which is why I recommend that you don't pay any attention to PageRank whatsoever.

Jill

#18 Sharon & Roy

Sharon & Roy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 04:47 PM

Ahh...the old text near the link debate.  You pretty much convinced me awhile ago that the words near the link probably don't get counted. It would be interesting to hear what Google says.

Hi Jill,

Pretty much convinced?

Well, that sounds MORE like a yes I'm convinced, than a no I'm not convinced ... since we know you really don't like to give out yes or no type answers, LOL <WINK>

Anyway, yes, it would be VERY interesting to hear what Google has to say about it, NOW, and to hear what their CURRENT stance is.

Your Friends,

Sharon & Roy

#19 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 04:58 PM

I do still waiver back and forth. Guess I'm wishy-washy. I would imagine that they would want to count the text near the links, but I'm just not sure that they can or do.

They may say they do though. But what they say and what they do aren't always the same thing!

Jill

#20 Sharon & Roy

Sharon & Roy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 07:06 PM

In this Search Day article - http://www.searcheng...cle.php/2160981

it was reported that a rep from Google said ...

Does this help answer your question?

Hi Debra,

In a word ... NO.

We do know what Danny Sullivan has said about this issue as well, from a really good discussion we had with Jill and others about this issue in this thread and here is Danny's post but we have not found a stitch of evidence to support this claim, so maybe Google can shed more light this time (or not), but it's still worth asking, right?

Your Friends,

Sharon & Roy

#21 Sharon & Roy

Sharon & Roy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 07:37 PM

I would imagine that they would want to count the text near the links, but I'm just not sure that they can or do.

Hi Jill,

Actually, if they did count the text surrounding the link, the relevancy would NOT be as good as it is now. Think about it ...

More words = Less relevancy and less word density.

And then there is the question of how much text surrounding the link is taken into consideration?

As we showed with your Signature File, the keyword ... "newsletter" ... would then be factored in for BOTH pages that your links point to, but it should ONLY be relevant for your newsletter page and NOT your Special Report page, or should it?

Would factoring in the keyword ... "newsletter" ... REALLY make the latter page more relevant?

We sure don't believe that for a second.

They may say they do though. But what they say and what they do aren't always the same thing!

Agreed!

Your Friends,

Sharon & Roy Montero

#22 Debra

Debra

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 09:28 PM

We do know what Danny Sullivan has said about this issue as well, from a really good discussion we had with Jill and others about this issue in this thread and here is Danny's post but we have not found a stitch of evidence to support this claim, so maybe Google can shed more light this time (or not), but it's still worth asking, right?

No question, when posed in a postive fashion and with good intent is a bad question.

Bernard, if you want to PM me with your definition of link reputation, feel free. I will be here until mid day August 16.

As I mentioned earlier, I am closing this thread. Have a good weekend.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!