• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Heading Tag Tricks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 hermit

hermit

HR 1

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 07:06 PM

How long do you think google going to keep taking heading tags seriously? There are dozens of ways to abuse the tag. Style sheet cheating comes to mind, or the most recent trick Iíve seen were a table is nested inside of the h1 tag. Long ago when AltaVista was the top dog, they stopped looking at it for this very same reason.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 07:13 PM

How long do you think google going to keep taking heading tags seriously?

How do you know they take them seriously now?

Style sheet cheating comes to mind

Changing the size of the font of a header tag is not considered "cheating." It's not the size that the search engine would care about (if they actually do care), it's the fact that something is a headline. Or so the old wive's tale goes... :learn:

Jill

#3 hermit

hermit

HR 1

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 08:02 PM

In ďThe Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search EngineĒ a quote from it states:

2.3 Other Features
ďAside from PageRank and the use of anchor text, Google has several other features. First, it has location information for all hits and so it makes extensive use of proximity in search. Second, Google keeps track of some visual presentation details such as font size of words. Words in a larger or bolder font are weighted higher than other words. Third, full raw HTML of pages is available in a repository.Ē

If they have kept to their original design this would indicate that the size of the font is a consideration. Though I agree that the use of heading tags for document structure is benign, I often see them being used inappropriately for the added weight it brings, and then covering it up by changing itís appearance.

By the way, Love the new forum.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 09:09 PM

That's all well and good, but I'm still waiting for someone to actually show me some proof that Google (or any search engine) actually does give Header tags more weight.

I know our wondeful moderator, Dan Thies, was doing some tests to study this, but I don't know if he's come to any conclusions yet. Will have to check in with him to see.

Glad you like the forum! :hmm:

Jill

#5 hermit

hermit

HR 1

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 10:22 PM

As a mater of fact I've never see any real proof that heading tags were more highly weight, good point.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!