• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Forums - Great For Link Pop?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#16 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 06:27 PM

You ain't kiddin' girl!

#17 Lynn Terry

Lynn Terry

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 04:38 AM

Found it! It *was* Sharon & Roy's site :)

http://www.iwon.net/

^ that's where I saw you... Nice to get to know you "live"!

#18 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 07:36 AM

Oh Wow! That's cool! Never seen that before. Thanks for showing it to me.

#19 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 08:29 AM

I was just going to say what Peter did. I can't imagine that posting garbage just for the link would help you get any referrals. But I suppose a link is a link, and the PR on this place probably isn't too shabby. (I use Mozilla so I can't see that silly green toolbar thing.) I just don't see the point.

#20 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 08:33 AM

Nah... posting for posting's sake is not a good idea. And as Jill mentioned (or maybe it was Scottie) as far as the link pop goes, not all forums are "spiderable" so you'd lose in two ways... no links and no referrals, either.

#21 keli

keli

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 02:21 PM

And speaking of Sharon&Roy, how come they haven't stopped by here yet?

I just completed their SEO class out of www.eclecticacademy.com - Those two are amazing! Seeing how much time they spend with us, the students, I'd say that's where they've been :batman:

#22 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 02:26 PM

Cool Keli,

I've never "studied" under them but they seem like really great people from my forum experiences.

#23 websage

websage

WebSage

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 02:59 PM

You are correct!

Being an active user in forums that are spiderable and allow signature links is a good way to get inbound links.

Some forums prevent links from being spidered but we do not.  Being a good member has many benefits- :batman:

Being an active user in forums that are spiderable and allow signature links is a good way to get inbound links.

I would be very curious to know what forums are spiderable and what are not? I would be very interested in open source forums, whether PHP or ASP or ColdFusion based. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mitko

#24 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 12:18 AM

I would be very curious to know what forums are spiderable and what are not? I would be very interested in open source forums, whether PHP or ASP or ColdFusion based. Any suggestions?

OT

Well... I know that every search engine won't index this one or any others most likely because of the dreaded "?" in queries, but Google did for sure. OpenBB (PM me if you need a link Websage, but it's the exact addy you're thinking of right now or just do a search for OpenBB.)

It's PHP/MySQL based, works well and is free to boot. Pretty easy on server resources when compared to other forums too. I don't think they're GPL'ing the code anymore...though it's been awhile since I helped Stu and the boys with some development early on so I'm out of the loop. If memory serves I think the owners decided to change away from the GPL license because a couple of bad apples tried making miniscule coding changes, re-naming it and sell it as their own. However last I heard the folks over at OpenBB were going to keep at least one version of free forever.

The way I know Google indexes this one is that once ages ago I made an award certificate as a joke for one of the guys who used to run the place. I uploaded it to one of my sites and linked to that pdf file from a post since the file size was rather large. Lo and behold, a month later Google showed that post as a backlink to the site. :hehe:

HTH

Randy

/OT

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!