• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Forums - Great For Link Pop?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 06:16 PM

:whip: Hmmmm... maybe I'm a bit slow, but I *think* I just realized something. Forums are an exceptional place to build link popularity! Right?

I mean, my signature is on every post I make and therefore that brings me a new link every time I post. Right again? Or am I missing something?

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 06:18 PM

You are correct!

Being an active user in forums that are spiderable and allow signature links is a good way to get inbound links.

Some forums prevent links from being spidered but we do not. Being a good member has many benefits- :whip:

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,775 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 06:21 PM

On the flip side, it can be subject to abuse. Many people only come in just for the link pop. We, of course, frown upon this.

If people seem to start abusing their signature privledges just because they want link pop. we will rethink whether we will allow them or not. Currently, we have no problem with our members promoting their companies in their sig. line, but if they are doing it just for link pop, they should probably go elsewhere! (Cuz I'll drive them out pretty quickly.)

Scottie and I have both run and admininstrated forums in the past. We know every trick in the book and can spot a poser a mile away. We won't put up with it. So beware.

Jill

#4 Vertster

Vertster

Google wristbar installed

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 06:26 PM

What a coincidence! I just got back from a 3 hour client meeting and this was one of the topics discussed. And then I check onto the forum, and it is the top new thread on my list!

I hear the twilight zone music...

#5 Bernard

Bernard

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 07:01 PM

Copywriter,

Not only that, but when the forum is aligned with your business interests, you should get quite a bit of targeted direct referrals from your sig links. At least, if you are posting anything interesting to a potential client....

#6 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 07:12 PM

Oh yes, I know about the business referrals. I've been a forum member before at various other places.

I hadn't really thought about the link pop advantage until just today. Brownie points for me :zap:

Don't worry Miss Jill. I won't be an abuser.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,775 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 07:21 PM

Don't worry Miss Jill. I won't be an abuser.

LOL...I'm not worried about you, Ms. Karon!

:hehe:

#8 Peter

Peter

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 10:47 PM

Hi everybody,

It definately works, but you don't get the visitors because of that link.

You get the visitors because of what you write here. I got some new clients through forums, but they all refer to what I have written in my posts. Most readers here know what they are looking for and they won´t click that little link at the botom unless they have the impression that the destination is worth it to take a look at.

Which reminds me to take the one I have here at the bottom out. My new domain (first one that is really mine) will be up and running soon! ;)

Regards,

Peter

#9 Mel

Mel

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 10:56 PM

There are forums and there are forums.

Here your sig links will be seen by the spiders and help your linkpop out just a bit, but at other forums the sig links are done with JS so that the spiders cannot read them and thus no linkpop. some forums do not allow links in sigs or do not allow sigs. At other forums only the moderators gain link pop......

Moral not all fouurms will help your link pop, but this one will. ;)

#10 Lynn Terry

Lynn Terry

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 08:25 AM

Hello all! I'm new here, and this thread caught my interest from the forum index, as I moderate my own forum... and am really digging in to learn the finer points of inbound and outbound links, as they relate to SEO.

Totally off topic... but Copywriter - werent you recently on The Mary Goulet Show?? If not, I'll have to figure out where I've run into you!

So glad to have found you all, and this terrific site too!

#11 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 12:40 PM

Hi Lynn. Welcome!

Nope... haven't been on that show. Maybe we met somewhere else.

#12 Lynn Terry

Lynn Terry

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 01:13 PM

Ahhh... Okay... :wacko:

Guess #2 : iwon.net, Sharon & Roy Montero

??

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,775 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 07:16 PM

If you read my newsletter, Lynn, I talk about Karon all the time. She's also written a few articles for it.

Might that be it?

And speaking of Sharon&Roy, how come they haven't stopped by here yet? :D

#14 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 03:56 PM

Sorry Lynn... just got back from vacation :D

Nope... don't think it's there either. I don't know where it might have been. I've spoken for coaching groups, done some local TV, etc. Most of my online "fame" comes from riding on Jill's coat tails :aloha:

#15 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,775 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 06:24 PM

And what a fun ride it's been! :aloha:

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!