Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?
More SEO Content
Se Newbie Questions
Posted 18 December 2003 - 01:30 PM
1) about the domain name; if someone is searching for "domain", does it make difference that the domain is www.my-domain.com or www.mydomain.com ?
2) what symbols make the spiders stop mostly? On my web sites pages more like contain ?, = and & signs. a php database created URLs.
3) do the spiders follow graphic links? or should I put a text link to "next" and previous" icons?
Any input would be great..
Posted 18 December 2003 - 01:35 PM
1) Yes and no. my-domain.com will be parsed as my domain while mydomain.com is seen as mydomain. It really doesn't matter much, though. The only time the domain name seems to help is when people link to you using your domain name- then the domain name becomes anchor text pointing to your site.
2) Spiders can follow those symbols in moderation. It doesn't appear that Googlebot specifically will index urls with more than 3 & variables. Try to keep it to 1 or 2 or use a mod-rewrite to change the URL to something more spider-friendly.
3) Yes. All spiders follow graphic links. Googlebot used to index the alt text associated with those graphics as well, but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore.
Posted 18 December 2003 - 03:03 PM
Oh, and Scottie, Google is back to reading the alt attribute in clickable graphics. We had a new thread about this yesterday or the day before I think. (Unless it's changed again today! )
Posted 18 December 2003 - 04:22 PM
1) so you say that domain name should only work like this in SEO terms; domain. But it does not have a great affect when someone is searching for the word "domain"?
2) I strangely suspected that the spiders don't follow this kind of links; http://www.mydomain....7226&x=140&y=11.
It means there must be some other reason why my pages are not showing up on the results
Posted 18 December 2003 - 05:54 PM
That URL has a session ID. Spiders won't follow that. It makes every page appear to be a unique page and ends up confusing them.
Using the keyword in your domain has little to no effect on rankings. Period. It can help you gain relevant link text when people link to your site using the domain name, that's about it.
And on the alt text- it's a good idea to have it for users. So don't worry about whether or not it's spidered! Changes daily...
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users