• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Duplicate Content

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#16 awall19

awall19

Peanut Butter Lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 10:35 AM

Finding duplicate content is somewhat hard for search engines. Two of the biggest things which are checked are outbound link structure, and file size.

If others copy your work then link to you they would typically have similar link structure to one another, but still not the exact same link structure. Typically those syndicating the page would be the ones found as duplicate because they would have more in common with one another.

The source document would not usually be eliminated as duplicate content, as that would rarely be the goal of a search engine. Sometimes though, it may even be a treat to have people find the syndicated column on the other sites. It has a strong effect if people see your content all over the web. That is how you become known as "the source of information" on a given topic.

When others publish your work you are enjoying free advertising. Odds are that they will not just put up a copy of your information, but will integrate it with the rest of their content. This will cause flow through traffic & free traffic is usually a good thing... :D

#17 Timothy Warnock

Timothy Warnock

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 03:28 AM

Hello Everybody,

I have read through all the posts in this thread, but I still have a question:

On one of my sites, I have a theme (translation) that by nature calls for duplicate content.

Let me explain...

I am basically looking for anyone interested in getting a professional translation, and all languages are a possibility. It is obvious that I then have to create pages that are optimized for the various translation keywords: Online Translators, German Translators, Italian Translators, etc.

The content basically remains the same, just the target searcher changes (based on the desired language) - it would be ridiculous for me to try and catch them all in one page (I would be eliminating thousands upon thousands of targeted searches, and hundreds of keywords), but it would be an enormous task for me to create new content for every page. Not to mention, that I have a pre-determined CR% from a particular way (tested) of presenting my promotion.

I do have excellent rankings for these various SE feeder pages, but I am constantly worried about getting penalized for duplicate content - I am in a bit of a pickle, and wonder if you have any thoughts?

I do change a few things here and there randomly (just so these pages aren't exactly identical), but in general they are the same.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Tim

#18 Mel

Mel

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 05:31 AM

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum.

I think that so long as the page targets different search phrases, you should have no problem. I am aware of one or two translation sites that do much the same as you are suggesting.

#19 Timothy Warnock

Timothy Warnock

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:04 AM

Hi Mel,

Thanks for your comments. They help me to feel more at ease.

I am aware of one or two translation sites that do much the same as you are suggesting.

Indeed! I have seen quite a few. One way to find them is search for "Latin Translators", you might see several that say - "we use only native speaking Latin Translators..." or something similar... tell me, where do they speak Latin nowadays? Am I missing something? But, this is harmless enough. (BTW - I am rank 3)

I have also noticed quite a few really cheesy spammers, with ridiculous redirects - and keyword packed pages. It is surprising at times to see how many resort to such tactics. But they are mysteriously disapearing... :whip:

Translation is a competitive field, and I guess many feel that they need to cheat in order to get on top, but I prefer to play it by the rules... I sleep better. :zz:

Thanks again,

Tim

#20 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 04:14 PM

LOL-

You just never know when you might get a client speaking Latin... :rolleyes:

#21 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,616 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 05:57 PM

One way to find them is search for "Latin Translators", you might see several that say - "we use only native speaking Latin Translators..." or something similar... tell me, where do they speak Latin nowadays?

Latin America? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist... :dance: :lol: :lol:

--Torka

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!