• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Purchasing New Domain Name And Redirecting?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ramki

ramki

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:53 AM

Hi,

Question 1. Purchasing 3 or 4 target keyword friendly domain name and redirecting to existing domain name. Is that good or bad search engine strategy?

Question 2. What type of redirect i have to use to redirect a new domain, is it 301/ 302 redirect or meta redirect or any other special redirect?

Please Help

[Removed bolding]

Edited by Jill, 31 August 2006 - 11:47 PM.

#2 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:47 AM

Welcome to HR forums Ramki hi.gif

You are barking up the wrong tree with this one. If you are buying multiple domain names and redirecting them then that is not a good long term plan, unless the domains are typos, mispellings etc, of your brand name Buying them for SEO reasons is not going to do you any good..

#3 ramki

ramki

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:49 AM

Hi OldWelsh,

Thank you very much for your warm welcome cheers.gif My question is, how to redirect a new domain without penalised by search engine. For old & descently rank domain name we use 301 redirect. For new domain name what type of redirect we have to you?

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:10 AM

If you're redirecting a new domain, a 301 would be best.

Still, as OWG said, it's not going to help you. Keyworded domains for the sake of the keywords in them haven't given any significant advantage for a long time now.

#5 Twix

Twix

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Is this still true? Is there any advantage to buying a new domain which includes keywords I want to use for some of my product ( ecommerce ), then parking it on my main domain name and redirect it to the category where the product are?

Example: I have an electronics store and have a radio category, would it benefit me to buy a domain name with 'radio' in it, park it on my main domain and then redirect it to the radio category?

Still, as OWG said, it's not going to help you. Keyworded domains for the sake of the keywords in them haven't given any significant advantage for a long time now.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

You should buy domains to protect your trademarks, not for search engine advantage.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

Example: I have an electronics store and have a radio category, would it benefit me to buy a domain name with 'radio' in it, park it on my main domain and then redirect it to the radio category?

If it's redirected, it basically doesn't exist, so no, there would be no advantage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!