• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Embed Media Player

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,632 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:11 PM

I'm trying to embed five instances of Windows Media Player on a page. Here's the code I'm using for one of the five:
CODE
<embed type="application/x-mplayer2" pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaPlayer/" name="mediaplayer3" showstatusbar="1" EnableContextMenu="false" autostart="false"  width="480" height="430"  transparentstart="1" loop="0" controller="true" src="/vid/file.mpg"></embed>

I have autostart set to "false" but it doesn't seem to make any difference. All of the videos start playing at once as soon as the page loads. I've tried setting transparent start to 0 but that doesn't seem to have made any difference either.

#2 Xanthis

Xanthis

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:26 PM

Hi qwerty,

I just tested this and I couldn't prevent the autostart from firing. However, when I changed the format from <embed> to <object> it worked like you wanted. See if this helps you:

CODE
<OBJECT id="mediaplayer3" width="480" height="430"  CLASSID="CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6" type="application/x-oleobject">  

<PARAM NAME="URL" VALUE="/vid/file.mpg">  
    <PARAM NAME="SendPlayStateChangeEvents" VALUE="True">  
    <PARAM NAME="AutoStart" VALUE="false">  
    <PARAM name="uiMode" value="full">  
    <PARAM name="PlayCount" value="1">  
</OBJECT>

Let me know if helps!

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,632 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:48 PM

Thanks and welcome to HR hi.gif

That worked beautifully in IE6, but in Firefox I found myself with a blank page. Now I'm trying it using QuickTime, which is giving me the same thing in both browsers, but I can't seem to get it to display the control bar. It's there, but no matter how much vertical space I give it, it isn't visible.

That's enough for tonight, I think.

#4 projectphp

projectphp

Lost in Translation

• 2,203 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:29 AM

OFFTOPIC:
Wooooah! Two creepy avatars talking...

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:52 AM

I've not played with embedding video much Bob, but have you tried setting ClickToPlay="true" instead of using AutoStart? One would think they would do sort of the same thing. Who knows if they do though.

One other random thought... Is it possible that you may need to set a classid in your embed to tell the browser which version of Media Player the page is talking to? The reason I wonder is that I know they changed/added some commands back around Version 7, so maybe by setting no classid it's defaulting to either an older or the newest version. Just wondering aloud on that one.

I remember reading a page over on W3CSchools.com a couple of months ago that listed the various classid's one should use with WMP versions. If memory serves it also gave a listing of the commands you can use to control how things looked and played.

<edit to add> I just found the page I was thinking about in my favorites. It's here.

Goodness only knows why I saved it... lol.gif

Edited by Randy, 29 August 2006 - 05:19 AM.

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,651 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:14 AM

OFFTOPIC:
Projectphp, I was thinking exactly the same thing! lol.gif

#7 Xanthis

Xanthis

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:51 AM

OFFTOPIC:
I have no idea what you are talking about. wink.gif

Actually, my first avatar was going to be similar to this static one, except every 3 or 4 seconds, it would do a subtle "shake", but I thought that might weird people out a bit too much. smile.gif

#8 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,651 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:35 AM

OFFTOPIC:
Thanks for that... qwerty's avatar has already weirded me out sufficiently... lol.gif

BTW, welcome to HR, Xanthis! hi.gif

#9 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,632 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:20 AM

I got it (using WMP). I used Xanthis' (many thanks thumbup1.gif ) code for IE, then embedded the embed in the object for Mozilla-based browsers:
CODE
<object id="mediaplayer2" width="480" height="430"  classid="CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6" type="application/x-oleobject">  
<param name="URL" value="/vid/file.mpg">  
<param name="SendPlayStateChangeEvents" value="true">  
<param name="AutoStart" value="false">  
<param name="uiMode" value="full">  
<param name="PlayCount" value="1">  
  <embed type="application/x-mplayer2"
    pluginspage="http://microsoft.com/windows/mediaplayer/en/download/"
    id=mediaplayer2
    name="mediaplayer2"
    displaysize="4"
    autosize="1"
    bgcolor="darkblue"
    showcontrols="1"
    showtracker="1"
    showdisplay="0"
    showstatusbar="1"
    videoborder3d="1"
    width=480
    height=430
    src="/vid/file.mpg"
    autostart="0"
  </embed>
</object>

#10 seo_bright

seo_bright

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:49 AM

I am in process of embedding videos in our server. Can the above code work for .mp4 file extension as well? Or should any other plug in be used?

#11 seo_bright

seo_bright

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE(seo_bright @ Jun 9 2009, 03:49 AM) View Post
I am in process of embedding videos in our server. Can the above code work for .mp4 file extension as well? Or should any other plug in be used?

Sorry I tried to edit the above code but came out as separate post.

#12 seo_bright

seo_bright

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:13 AM

I found that .mp4 files do not play in WMP. Only in Quick Time or DVD Software like Neuro. Does anyone know of plug in for these software as I need code for playing the files online.

#13 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:21 AM

If it were me I'd be simply converting the .mp4 into something a bit more useful. There are so many different ways you can offer video presentations that just work for the vast majority of users these days that it seems silly to require they install some other browser plugin.

FTR, a lot of people may already have Quick Time installed. I'm not one of them, for personal reasons, but gauging by the number of times I get asked to install QT I'm sure most have said yes sooner or later. By Nuero do you mean Nero? They do have a player, but I doubt many have it installed. The only way I've ever seen to get that one is to actually purchase their editing software.

As I said above, if it were me I'd either be converting it to some other more useful format (say flash, mpg or mp3 if suitable) and/or offering it in multiple formats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!