• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Sitemaps

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 jehochman

jehochman

Jonathan Hochman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:08 PM

We'll never know for sure, but it could be pure coincidence that your site got indexed after you deleted sitemaps.

#17 sweimh

sweimh

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:49 PM

I had a site that had major index issues (site was updated :: new pages created & old pages gone. The result was Google indexed only the homepage and supplemental'd the rest of the old pages, but never indexed the new).

Sitemap was then submitted for over 2 months but did not help.. Deleted sitemap for about 3 weeks, and the site was re-indexed.

BUT, the time when google re-indexed the site also coincided with the time when Google pushed out new PR.. So I'm not sure if sitemap deletion was in any way related.

#18 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE(legalguy @ Aug 3 2006, 04:39 PM)
Since deleting my sitemap approx 2 weeks ago, my indexed page count has gone from 2 to 68.
View Post

Now add it back and see if you get deindexed.

#19 jwhitakr

jwhitakr

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:27 PM

I've found Google Sitemaps to be woefully out of date...the time taken after I'd updating my site, re-submitting my sitemap and then waiting for the results to show up in Sitemaps would take days. Meanwhile, my newly added content would show up in the Google search results.

Also, the pages displayed using the "site:<sitename>" command in Google would only show a sub-set of my pages that would actually show up in Google search results.

What to make of this? Not really sure...but I know that Sitemaps consistently lags behind what is actually showing in the search results by a few days.

YMMV.

- Justin

#20 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(legalguy @ Aug 3 2006, 04:39 PM)
Since deleting my sitemap approx 2 weeks ago, my indexed page count has gone from 2 to 68.
View Post

I am going to swing the bat blindfolded here, but are you aware that when you submit a sitemap, you have the ability to order the importance of the pages within your site? If so, did you in fact sit down with pen and paper and create a hierachy? Or did you simply take the default and let all pages = 0.5 ?

Sitemaps need to be understood, and the page value in the sitemaps programme is probably the most mis-understood of them all. You shoul add a value to every page in the sitemap to aid the spider. If you have told the spider that all of your pages are of equal value, then it has no roadmap to follow.

As I said though, I am swinging the bat blind.

#21 legalguy

legalguy

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 06:47 AM

I am aware of that function. Unfortunately, I was too lazy to use that function. In the back of my mind, I found it difficult to believe google would respect my opinion about which pages were the most important.

#22 T-Bone

T-Bone

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:44 AM

I had a google sitemap setup for a while but nothing on their was ever indexed. I later removed the sitmeap and pages automagically started getting indexed. panic.gif

#23 jehochman

jehochman

Jonathan Hochman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:52 PM

Why would Google bother to build something like Sitemaps, ask people to use it, and then put them at a disadvantage for doing so? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

#24 legalguy

legalguy

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:23 PM

Yes but that begs an answer to the related question: Why would google design a sitemaps function - only to ignore the majority of pages in some sitemaps?

#25 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:10 PM

To gain info on who's spamming them?

#26 fase

fase

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 11 2006, 08:10 PM)
To gain info on who's spamming them?
View Post

Even though Jill fraised it as a question, it sound like it got a lot of truth to it. Who no's it might just be the case spam.gif

#27 SmartnetEric

SmartnetEric

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:30 AM

True, Google seems to be on a spam slaying mission. All hail google (or else)tongue.gif

#28 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE(SmartnetEric @ Aug 14 2006, 11:30 AM)
All hail google (or else)tongue.gif
View Post

Sorry, but that's just silly.

Don't trick Google, or else...yeah. But if you're not tricking them, you have nothing to fear from them.

#29 tomsk

tomsk

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:59 AM

I have possibly made an error in my SEO technique that could be causing google to dampen my results and wondered if providing a site map (which I did yesterday) has confirmed to google what I have done.

The story thus far:

I am optimising for a fairly non discript phrase, I then read that you should optimize for many many pages so that you rank for many keywords etc, problem is that the area I am trying to promote does not lend it self to loads of content filled pages, so I decide to make a page for every London postcode as the business is based in London

So I have added 100 + pages that read: domain-name/keyword-keyword-postcode - great as they are all pretty much page one (not much competition) but it appears to be keeping the main keywords back done on page 12 for the index page.

I have verified the site with google, added site map and gone in amongst others 1 or 2 well known directories but it has been pointed out that I may have over done it on the keywords and hyphens in the urls.

What I am asking is that if google considers it spammie does it also taken in to account that I have verified it etc?

Thanks for reading biggrin.gif

#30 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:12 AM

What I am asking is that if google considers it spammie does it also taken in to account that I have verified it etc?

Not sure why verifying the site would make it suddenly not spam, if that's what you're asking.

If anything, it calls attention to the spam that may have otherwise gone unnoticed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.