• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Sitemaps

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 legalguy

legalguy

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:05 PM

Over the past six months my pages indexed on google went from 125 to zero. In the last two months it has ranged between 6 and 20.

I have religously submitted updated sitemaps. What is the whole point of sitemaps if google is so stingy on numbers of pages in the index?

cry.gif

#2 RPS Inc.

RPS Inc.

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:15 PM

Delete your Google sitemaps entries and give it a week and see what happens.

Then come back and let us know if anything changed... some people are skeptical but I think Google Sitemaps is causing many pages to not show up in the index. Once removed, if I am right, you will notice many pages being reindexed.

#3 Guest_Skanking_*

Guest_Skanking_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:20 PM

One thing that google sitemaps are ment to do is give you feedback via your google email account as what problems they had if any spidering your site. Apart from that it seems to be a way to determine frequency you update the site and frequence of google visits required (dynamic content). If your doing static content there is very little point at all.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:29 PM

If there is a reason Google is not interested in indexing your pages, the reason will remain, whether or not your submit them through sitemaps.

Look at the content on your pages and make sure it's truly different than what Google already has indexed from other sites.

If it is, then make sure you let the rest of the world know about your site and don't be shy about seeing if they'll link to it. Without good links, and unique content, they won't be interested.

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:04 PM

Shoot, ya'll just reminded me that I need to make that Google Sitemap file for a few of my personal sites I was going to use to test the Sitemap = Pages Dropped idea being floated. I added 'em all to Sitemaps a few weeks back, but with no sitemap file to tell Google which pages to index and when. So far, without that there has been no change.

#6 legalguy

legalguy

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:21 PM

I will go ahead and delete the sitemap and report the results in this thread.

#7 DanThies

DanThies

Keyword Super Freak

• 865 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:14 PM

There are quite a few posts @ Matt Cutts' blog, and you can see/hear interviews here and there, about the BigDaddy update. As far as I can tell, what Google will decide to crawl and index isn't going to be driven by SiteMaps. The purpose of the sitemaps tool is to give us a way to help Google find the unique content on our sites and index it with appropriate frequency etc. It won't make the bot like or dislike your site.

#8 wowdezign

wowdezign

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:18 PM

I agree, I have two sites that have more pages in the index now that I am partcipating in Google Sitemaps than I did before. Which actually supports what Dan just said.

I don't think Google was crawling my site deep enough before.

#9 DanThies

DanThies

Keyword Super Freak

• 865 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:21 PM

Part of the problem, legalguy, may be the content of your site. I see lots of doorway pages to target lots of different local variations of search terms. You may want to consider consolidating those down to just a few selling pages, and using other methods (internal anchor text, text on page, etc.) to get those pages into search results.

#10 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:54 AM

People are looking to sitemaps as the holy grail, when it isn't. it really is quite simple, if your site has problems with being spidered, then use a site map (although fixing the problems is a better option) biggrin.gif If the site has no spidering problems then do not use sitemap. By spidering problems I mean technical problems not problems getting it spidered, as has already been stated, if google is reluctant to spider your site then work out why, and fix it.

#11 ewo

ewo

HR 4

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:27 AM

QUOTE(OldWelshGuy @ Jul 12 2006, 10:54 AM)
People are looking to sitemaps as the holy grail, when it isn't. it really is quite simple, if your site has problems with being spidered, then use a site map (although fixing the problems is a better option) biggrin.gif If the site has no spidering problems then do not use sitemap. By spidering problems I mean technical problems not problems getting it spidered, as has already been stated, if google is reluctant to spider your site then work out why, and fix it.
View Post

My site is pretty straightforward, in terms of spidering, but I went through the vanishing page routine a month or so ago. I submitted a sitemap and things got alot better - coincidence? perhaps

#12 legalguy

legalguy

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:50 AM

I deleted my sitemap because it hasn't been doing me any good - to date.

Other steps I am trying:

I made a new site map that is up to date and has better anchor text

Will add additional content to pages that have not been indexed

Many of my description tags are the same. I read somewhere that could cause googlebot to lose interest ??? It is worth a try to vary some of the tags

Also, the bottom of every page has a long tagline that serves as a marketing message. Many of them are the same and I wonder if that triggers duplicate content filters. I will try to vary them.

It is an interesting project - trying to anticipate and outguess the search engines. What kills me is that MSN and Yahoo have been so easy. My results have always been fabulous on the other engines.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:26 AM

What OWG said.

A Google sitemap won't do anything for pages that are already indexed, cuz, well...they're already indexed!

#14 legalguy

legalguy

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:12 PM

I am starting to see a few more pages added bit by bit to the index. Whether it is the deleted sitemap or not I will never know.

#15 legalguy

legalguy

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:39 PM

Since deleting my sitemap approx 2 weeks ago, my indexed page count has gone from 2 to 68.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.