• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

What's Up With Alta Vista?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 dzinerbear

dzinerbear

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:51 PM

Hi all,

I submitted my first site to search engines on April 18. It took forever for Google's Esmeralda update (about two months) but when it came out, my site had good rankings many top tens and a couple of firsts.

I just finally this week started seeing Alta Vista appearing in my logs. So what's up, why did they take so long? Are they trying to starve intentionally?

And why would a number spot in Google not at least get me reasonable rankings in Alta Vista, in some cases I can't even find my Google number one's in Alta Vista.

Thanks
Michael

#2 Kelly

Kelly

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 10:10 PM

dzinerbear,

Altavista has a totally different algo that they use, not even close to Google. I have many top listings in Google, but like you some pages are nowhere to be found in AV.

Best wishes...

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,627 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 10:11 PM

Poor, poor, AltaVista. Really, not very much is up with them. It's not a bad search engine, but hardly anyone uses it anymore. I've got some good rankings in there, but I don't see a lot of traffic from them.

And it does have its little problems. I haven't found it to be particularly slow to pick up a new site, but it is awfully quick to drop one. It's the only search engine I ever have to manually submit a site to, because if its spider happens to crawl in at an inopportune moment, it seems to delete the entire domain from the index immediately.

Maybe now that it's part of the vast Overture empire things will change over there. I really don't know what they plan on doing with it.

#4 nuthin

nuthin

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 10:13 PM

hmm interesting.
i find altavista always indexing our new clients sites alot quicker than any other search engine the majority of the times.
i tend to find they index the site, however when you search for the keyword phrases of the site optimized the site won't appear for a few weeks after the actual listing is gained for their keyword phrases.

AV's algorithm, may not like your site for some reason.
from personal experience AV likes longer titles and places more emphasis on the meta description well google's algo is well and truly looking to eat up and index alot more body content.

I would just say if you are happy with your Google ranking, concentrate on that.
AV doesn't bring too much traffic anyway.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!