• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Does This Make Any Senses?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 suzstephens

suzstephens

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:25 PM

I've been following a discussion on a real estate forum about sites with duplicate content and can't make sense of this post by a person who normally seems fairly knowledgeable. (I'm replacing the actual domain name with Jay's name to keep within the rules):

[http://JaysDomain.com]
AND
[http://www.JaysDomain.com]

It's a canonical issue. Search engines treat these URLs as separate web sites.
It MAY be the cause of low or no rank in Google. A competent web master can
correct it in the code."

Is this true? Does presence or absence of "www" mean "separate web sites" to Google? Or is this nonsense? Before I attempt to argue the point, I want to make absolutely sure I'm on firm footing and haven't missed some obscure point. I see his "two" domains as simply one domain, one web site, which is how Jay himself sees it. According to Jay, he is careful to include "www" when using his domain in email sigs but doesn't think of it as a different domain. I had noticed that modern browsers are capable of going to domains typed without the "www" but I've never thought of it as meaning two different web sites with duplicate content to Google.

Suzanne

Edited by Jill, 11 June 2006 - 12:28 PM.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,619 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:34 PM

In the long term, the search engines will all figure out that the two URLs represent the same document, but your best strategy would be to put a 301 (permanently moved) redirect from one version to the other -- most people redirect from non-www to www.

If you're on a 'nix server and you have access to your .htaccess file, you can add the following to it:
CODE
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.jaysdomain\.com
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.jaysdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

If that's not your situation, have a look at our giant 301 redirect thread.

#3 suzstephens

suzstephens

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:42 PM

I know about redirects but, as I understand Jay's situation, there's nothing to redirect. Jay has only one web site and one domain. But the other realtor is telling him that Google sees his domain typed with the "www" and typed without "www" as two separate domains and two sets of identical content.

#4 suzstephens

suzstephens

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:50 PM

Rereading your post for the second or third time, I now understand that you're saying that Jay's web master might want to add an htaccess file to redirect the shortened domain. I guess that would be safe, though the www-less domains work fine on Mac and PC browsers on my owns sites hosted on Unix servers.

However, the question remains, is it true that Google "sees" them as two sites with identical content even though Jay has only one site?

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,946 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:51 PM

is it true that Google "sees" them as two sites with identical content even though Jay has only one site?

yes

#6 suzstephens

suzstephens

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:52 PM

Bizarre! Thanks.

#7 CathyS

CathyS

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(suzstephens @ Jun 10 2006, 11:52 AM) View Post
Bizarre! Thanks.

I've been told that I need to fix this issue with my site. I have one website with and the www url and the non-www url both go to my site. My site is a template site on the GoDaddy platform. When I phoned to discuss, they seemed clueless about the issue. I will phone again, but I want to make sure I know what to tell them. Do I need to ask them to redirect one of these to the other? Thanks in advance ...

#8 mickmel

mickmel

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:16 PM

Look at it this way: type in the address for any major site WITHOUT entering the www -- just "google.com", "yahoo.com", "cnn.com", etc. When the page loads, it'll do a quick redirect and put the www's in there so that it's always consistent.

It doesn't matter if you choose to go with or without the www's, but use htaccess to enforce that it's always doing it the same way.

Cathy -- Good luck with GoDaddy. I use them for domains, but NEVER for hosting because of things like this. This is a 30-second fix with any decent hosting provider (HostGator, BlueHost, etc), but could be a fun struggle with them. Good luck. smile.gif

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE(CathyS @ Feb 3 2011, 08:25 PM) View Post
I've been told that I need to fix this issue with my site. I have one website with and the www url and the non-www url both go to my site. My site is a template site on the GoDaddy platform. When I phoned to discuss, they seemed clueless about the issue. I will phone again, but I want to make sure I know what to tell them. Do I need to ask them to redirect one of these to the other? Thanks in advance ...

we have a lot more up to date threads than this 2006 one. For the most part nowadays google knows your www and non www are one and the same making it not a problem. You can redirect if you like or set in in GWMT but it's often not necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!