• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Contest - Usability Best Practices

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
147 replies to this topic

#121 HorseCove

HorseCove

Horses are good for the soul.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 08:57 PM

Wow Tom,

Thanks for joining in the fun!

Your download tips were fantastic! I felt like I just took a speed course on it. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Okay, I understood most of what you said but I have one question.

Could you explain "Use weighted optimization on your graphics." Most of us know we need to optimize our graphics to reduce the image file size, but this sounds like a special kind of optimization.

This is good meaty stuff.

We may have to have a separte contest for tips on how to decrease download time.

Thanks again,

Chris

Edited by HorseCove, 06 August 2003 - 09:25 PM.

#122 burgeltz

burgeltz

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:30 PM

Chris,

Weighted optimization is a feature in Photoshop that lets you apply different optimization factors to different parts of your image. So instead of having to slice your GIF to optimize different parts of it, you can do it all in one image file. And the areas to which you apply the optimization factors can have irregular shapes, which is nice.

This article gives a good description of how to do it:

weighted optimization how-to

#123 HorseCove

HorseCove

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:42 PM

Ahhh, Photoshop. What an amazing program. I've used it but I only touched on the surface of what it can do.

I'll have to check out the weighted optimization option.

Thanks! :D

#124 splunkett

splunkett

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 09:39 AM

Always put the Submit Form button on the left and on the Clear Form button on the right.

I'd take this one off on a new tangent and say "Never put in clear forms buttons, unless there is a very compelling reason to do so."

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should.

#125 splunkett

splunkett

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 09:40 AM

And I agree so much about that clear form button. In fact, why the heck even have that button at all?  Who ever needs to clear the form?

Oops - missed Jill's reply. Glad to see we're on the same wavelength though!

#126 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,880 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 10:21 AM

Yes we are! Welcome, splunkett! :aloha:

Jill

#127 HorseCove

HorseCove

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 04:33 PM

I'm going to jump back to Burgeltz's list of download tips and ask another question.

Can you explain what you mean when you say

Use table-layout: fixed (but know what you're doing when you use it!)

This was just screaming for a question. :rolleyes:

#128 Jodi

Jodi

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 04:42 PM

Hi Chris. I believe what he means there is that if you use tables, they shouldn't be percentages of the browser window, they should have a fixed pixel width. I'm not sure if this actually speeds up load time, but that seems to be the implication. :rolleyes:

All the best,

--Jodi

#129 HorseCove

HorseCove

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 04:52 PM

Thanks Jodi!

I always add width values to my tables to speed load times, but this sounds like some new trick.

Edited by HorseCove, 07 August 2003 - 05:14 PM.

#130 burgeltz

burgeltz

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 05:03 PM

Yeah, my tip was a bit cryptic. Let me explain...

In HTML, when you specify TABLE or TD height/width (as a percentage or in pixels), the browser may decide to override your direction to make the table content fit. That's a safetly measure, but it also means the browser takes longer to render the table.

Using CSS table-layout: fixed tells the browser to accept your direction on table and cell dimensions, no matter what. That can make a big difference in the rendering time.

The downside is that you really, really need to be sure that your content fits within the table cells. Otherwise it will bleed into adjacent cells or be cropped. Given that users can increase their default font size, that can be tricky.

So this is a powerful load time tip, but you need to know what you're doing when you use it.

#131 HorseCove

HorseCove

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 05:11 PM

Hmmmm, I guess this is one of those things you have to weigh what is more important - Speeding up the page or creating a maintenance nightmare.

I guess if you don't change the content too much this would be great, but personally I'd be selective where I used it.

#132 burgeltz

burgeltz

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 05:15 PM

If you set your fonts to fixed pixel widths using CSS, then using table-layout:fixed is pretty safe.

But then your solving one usability issue and creating another by not letting people increase font size.

#133 HorseCove

HorseCove

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 09:17 AM

Hey, I just thought of another usability tip - Check your links.

Nothing makes a site look less professional and irritates a user like a bunch of broken links. Many directories will exclude including a site if it has too many dead links.

I'll probably end the contest this weekend, so if you want to add more tips, you're getting down to the wire. Better hurry.

#134 pageoneresults

pageoneresults

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 02:11 PM

Great topic! We are going to add one more to the list that many haven't quite grasped yet; Absolute Positioning. If you take a look at our directory, you'll see what I mean. We position core content right after the <body> tag so those on slower connections see content first while other elements are being rendered in the order of the html. Oh, by the way, this does seem to provide a great benefit when thinking about indexing spiders!

We are also experimenting with a text only version right now and accesskeys. Yes, we know the accesskey issues are still up in the air but, we wanted to give it a try and see how it all worked. So far, nothing but positive responses from our testers. If you do visit the text only version of our directory, move your mouse to the side and use your keyboard only. Follow the link that reads Access Keys or use the visual accesskey clues that are presented throughout the text only version of the site.

Hey Jill, great job with the board!

#135 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,880 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 02:33 PM

Welcome, Edward! :propeller:

Jill

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your