• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Comparing "search Engine Optimization" On Majors

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#31 projectphp

projectphp

Lost in Translation

• 2,203 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 07:59 PM

Man, this thread is a blast from the past!!! (finished in August and restarted in November!!!)

It is actually good that these sort of threads get restrated. Too many times the exact same topic is repeated, with no really new insight added. In this case, we get the best of both worlds: The original thread, and a whole bunch of new perspective and insight.

For my $0.02, to change the focus a bit, when hiring someone, it is important to understand oneself. Clients are all so different, and all expect different things. When choosing an SEO, or any other person to partner your business with, you should first start with an understanding of what sort of client YOU will be.

I hate ceremony, tend to be a bit too blunt and don't beat around the bush for long. Some peopel like that, others just want someone to hold their hand.

If people are honest about themselves, their own level of involvement, the type of people they want to work with and their own personality, hiring help will be infinitely more likely to achieve a positive outcome.

#32 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 10:15 PM

I hate ceremony, tend to be a bit too blunt and don't beat around the bush for long.

I would have never guessed that about you, PHP! :aloha:

#33 and

and

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 02:35 PM

This forum seems to attract members who really know what they are talking about. This may be the only Topic in history where two members who posted have homepages in the Top 20 on Google and Yahoo for the term:
"search engine optimization"

#34 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 03:54 PM

Welcome, "and"! :naughty:

We do pride ourselves on our experts here. Especially our wonderful crew of moderators. Many of whom will be speaking next week at the Search Engine Strategies conference in Chicago.

Might be ghost town here!

Jill

#35 and

and

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 11:20 AM

This is why "Pay per Click" Search engine marketing should be monitored and legislated

Highrankings.com is now #1 for the term "search engine optimization" on ASK.COM,

however - how may surfers will bypass the 10 "Sponsored Web Results About"
to get to the "Web Results About" listings

http://web.ask.com/w...&askbutton.y=17

Compare the resuts on TEOMA where it is also #1 but only has 2 sponsored links and where the "Relevant Web Pages" catagory are made Obvious

http://s.teoma.com/s...x=26&Search.y=8

A much better and ethical system

[Deleted copied list of SE results]

Edited by and, 16 December 2003 - 04:22 PM.

#36 web

web

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:21 PM

This is one strategy:

What were the fist terms (queries) you put into the search engines when you were wondering how to get your site listed on Search Engines or how to get it ranked?

SEOs who successfully optimize and rank for those likely terms may get the beginners as prospects.

SEOs who rank high for those competative terms may get the very knowledgeable
as prospects.

Found THIS site because it was second place in Google for search engine optimization !

#37 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:36 PM

Hey web, I think the poster is long gone, since this thread is a 2003 one...

#38 web

web

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:29 PM

actually found this topic on a multi-keyworded SEO-Related Google Search

But, look at what just happened today on the Search Engine Optimization SERPs

#39 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:30 PM

But, look at what just happened today on the Search Engine Optimization SERPs

What?

#40 Leann_Pass

Leann_Pass

Internet Marketing Consultant

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:06 PM

if you were looking for an ESTABLISHED SEO

would you pick the companies that came up the highest for:

SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION
SEARCH ENGING RANKING
SEARCH ENGINE PLACEMENT
SEARCH ENGINE POSITIONING

I certainly hope not! I don't know about everyone, so I can only answer for our company. Our own websites suffer a lot. It isn't that we don't know or don't care -it's just that we are so busy working for clients that we don't have time to do the best job for our own sites!

It truly feels like a vacation if we get to work on our sites. We don't really expect them to do extremely well; if (and when) they do perform well, we are thrilled!

As a consumer I am more interested in what a company/person has accomplished for others than what they have done for themselves.

Leann (who didn't read the thread very thoroughly...and hopes she didn't mock anyone!)

Edited by Leann_Pass, 19 June 2005 - 07:12 PM.

#41 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:50 PM

Don't worry Leann, the thread is like 2 years old!

#42 web

web

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:55 PM

Just a thought:
Would it not be also convincing to demonstrate what someone has done for their company as well as their clients - sometimes your ranking is the first thing that attracts potential clients, then, you can sieze the opportunity to expand on your other achievements - this site is on the first page for some of those terms

#43 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:25 PM

I do think it's important to rank highly for relevant phrases if you are doing it for others. However, most high quality SEO clients don't come from people doing blind searches at the engines.

In fact, I've found that I waste too much time with potential clients who find me that way, and much prefer the potential clients who find me because they are a loyal newsletter subscriber or forum member.

this site is on the first page for some of those terms

That's not anything new, if that's what you were saying were the recent changes in the SERPs before.

#44 web

web

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:03 PM

No - that is not what was meant by the new changes in SEO SERPs

But - regardless - to get a high ranking on very competative keywords that are appropriate, DEMONSTATES - that one has a knowledge of Algorithms and is able to immune oneself to the constant "sandbox" and changes

Don't forget - many others in the SAME field are trying to do just that - their methods just hasn't been AS productive

TO GET TO PAGE ONE and maintain for so many terms is an EXTREME ACHEIVEMENT - no matter how you look at it appl.gif

And of course, there is an INDIRECT positive effect

#45 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:34 PM

Actually, it has nothing to do with knowing algorithms.

It has to do with 10 years of hard work, blood, sweat and tears! It has to do with making a site be the best it can be for its visitors and the search engines, and it has to do with making something worthwhile that others will want to share with their friends and colleagues!

Basically, it has to do with everything we tell everyone here every day!

cheers.gif

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.