• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Isapi Website

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 bjandrews

bjandrews

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 03:28 PM

I was just approached by a friend about SEO for a site where the home page URL reads http://www.websitename.com/isap/isapi.dll . I’ve never touched an ISAPI site before. Does anyone know if there are any particular quirks in SEO’ing an ISAPI site? :huh:

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 03:38 PM

Welcome BJandrews! :huh:

Never heard of it. It sounds odd that there would be a file with a .dll extension in the URL, however. Aren't .dll files system files? Are you sure that's the actual URL of the site?

Jill

#3 websage

websage

WebSage

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 03:50 PM

ISAPI was Microsoft's answer to CGI's limitations. It evolved over the years into ASP and now ASP.NET. I do not see how and why somebody will direct traffict to the ISAPI. You might want to check for more information.

#4 bjandrews

bjandrews

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 07:45 AM

Jill & WebSage, thanks for responding.
http://www.websitename.com/isap/isapi.dll is the URL displayed when you enter the .com address. You never see the .dll extention after that point. If you leave the home page and return the URL is www.website.com/page.home/sessiion_id.<random string> The URLs for all subsequent pages end the same way i.e. /page.<whatever>/session_id Unfortunately the web developer has no desire to tell me why he coded the site this way, even when I said “pretty please”. I know I have an obstacle dealing with session ids, but wondering if the .dll page going to give me fits as well.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 09:05 AM

The search engines don't do well with session id's so that's probably the major problem. If they can get rid of those somehow, it's possible the site may be indexable.

And yes, the .dll page may also be a problem. Generally the extension doesn't matter, but I would be concerned about .dll.

Still, I'm only guessing. Maybe others here have dealt directly with this sort of thing and can add something more intelligent! :aloha:

Jill

#6 donaldcroswell

donaldcroswell

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 08:43 PM

Just as a casual browser, I wouldn't want to see a .dll file in my Address box. Regardless of whether or not it did anything or not. There are too many people out there trying to get files on my computer, or take information from my computer so I would probably avoid any pages that I didn't recognise the extensions. The same as if I didn't see the little lock on the browser when I was entering my credit card details on a secure server (https). Just used to certain checks. Even if they can be 'faked'. 'Something different' starts ringing alarm bells for me.
Also, if I was a paid SEO expert for a site, I would expect to know exactly what it did. Everything. There would be no 'secret web functions' affiliated with my company without me knowing about it. Not an SEO expert but assume that to be effective at your job you need to know the purpose of the site and how the informatioin is retrieved.....asp,cold fusion,jsp. Can't maximise the search engines spidering the site if you don't know how it works.
Good luck :zap:

Edited by donaldcroswell, 07 August 2003 - 08:49 PM.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 09:36 PM

Here's a funny coincidence for you. I was doing a site review today for a client and while browsing through their site, I saw one of those .dll urls! It was there for a second, and then it redirects to a "normal" static looking page. I really don't know what it did or how it worked, but was interesting to see due to this conversation. I probably wouldn't have even noticed it had we not been talking about it.

Another funny thing was on this same site, they were using the freefind.com search box that we were discussing in another thread.

Isn't it weird how once you hear about something, suddenly you start seeing it everywhere?

I bet if you keep your eyes open, you might notice that isapi .dll stuff on more sites than you realize ever had them.

Jill

#8 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,627 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 10:26 PM

If you're interested in what ISAPI rewrite is about, there's some information here and on a page at the SEO Consultants site.

Basically (and I got this from the pages listed above) it's an IIS equivalent of mod_rewrite.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 10:53 PM

Thanks, Bob! That explains it nicely. Good article on seo consultants.

So, it appears that the isapi rewrite is a GOOD thing for seo, not a bad one at all. :hmm:

Jill

#10 bjandrews

bjandrews

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:30 AM

Thank you all for your contributions to this line. This has been a tremendous help!
:aloha:

#11 schecky

schecky

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 08:39 PM

The google SERP below indicates there may not be a problem getting the .dll extension indexed.

http://www.google.ca...le Search&meta=

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!