• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Spending Too Much Time On Forums

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 paulbedford

paulbedford

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 02:41 AM

[Split off from this thread. - Jill]

dragonlady, Robert's thingy gives you a choice of either a daily or weekly newsletter.

As far as an alternative to spending so much time here (and on other boards) there is the small inconvenience of earning a living that gets in the way. I seem to spend far more time in the office than I do anywhere else, it was easier when the business was small enough to work from home although that presented another problem in that I could never switch off because I was always "at work". Add in editing in a couple of directories and it boils down to a 70 to 80 hour work week. Still I wouldn't change it for anything.

Thanks for the welcome Jill.

Edited by Jill, 06 August 2003 - 09:17 AM.

#2 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 08:01 AM

Yes, I think I get the weekly thingy.
(I think I run out of words if I write too many in a day. The supply gets refreshed in the mornings after my third cup of tea, but at the moment I'm still operating on a word deficit from yesterday. Thingy it is.)
Yes, I've been having to sneak forum browsing in among all the other junk I have to do. Due to bad weather, I've changed from commuting on foot to sneaking a car ride to work, which gives me two extra hours in a day, so even while having less time to do most things, I've managed to keep my forum postings up. I find posting in here to be a needed interaction with other human beings (ironically enough) and an invaluable source of information and amusement. Sleep, on the other hand, is no good to anybody. :zz:

Right, time to go for that second cup of tea and see if I can't refresh the word supply. :chef:

#3 deborah2002

deborah2002

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:40 AM

I posted more or less this same comment on another thread....I spend a good portion of my day here in this forum (still surfing and researching and all).

My boss has no problem with it, as she knows that if I am getting great sources of info from peers, it's a lot cheaper than a conference or seminar!

Case in point: I had the CSS dillemma (still studying that, too! :read: ). Because of that one post, I have a bunch of valuable links to resources that woulda taken me a lot more time to find had I not asked the folk here for help.

I DO try to help others when I can (if I think I know enough to respond without sounding stupid). But I have found that lurking helps cuz others have the same questions I do.

Too much time on the forum? Depends on how you look at it. I like the people here and the info is invaluable. As long as I use my time and efforts here wisely, my boss won't care and I'll stay!

Thanks for letting me throw my 2 cents in! :applause:

deb

#4 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:45 AM

I'll probably taper off my involvement in forums as my stress at work tapers off, and as I do fewer things there that I don't know how to do.
I will remain involved, though, as I work on my own business and need advice!
I have just felt that karma demands I spend as much time answering questions as others spend answering mine. You can't just come onto the board, ask a question, get your answer, and leave-- and feel like you've contributed. Sure, your question probably helped other readers get answers. But I don't feel like i'm fully involved if I interact like that, and I feel greedy. So if I spot a question I can answer, then answering it is a form of payment for all the free help I've gotten.

I guess it's a positive thing that I now know the answer to so many questions that are asked, but it means I spend more time than I mean to. :applause:

#5 deborah2002

deborah2002

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 10:00 AM

Hmmmmm....maybe I said that wrong? Insofar as the contribution part, I try to do so as much as possible. That being said, I won't give advice if I'm not 100% sure I am correct.

I am by no means a newbie, but there IS a lot of stuff I don't know yet. I try to keep my mouth shut when more knowledgable people are "speaking", and I'll throw my advice/opinion in when appropriate and warranted.

I sure didn't mean to make it sound like all I'm doing is jumping in saying "hey, answer this, thanks, gotta run".

I guess, judging from your post, that the way I think and the way I type are completely different--bummer!

deb :applause:

#6 stoli

stoli

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 04:57 PM

Being part of a forum makes you feel like you are part of a bigger community. The great part is you can contribute as much or as little as you choose. If you want to escape from all dialogue, you just have to get up and turn on the T.V.

I think part of what makes forums so appealing is the fact that you can help others. In spite of all the negatives in today's society, I feel we all still want to lend a hand. Be it a simple hand like answering a question you know. It just makes you feel good.

It also makes you feel good that someone, whereever they may be, took the time to respond to your thoughts on a particular subject. Kinda makes you feel important.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!