• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

The Two Most Important Google Ranking Factors?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#16 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 11:21 AM

As I mentioned in my post above, I hadn't read the article yet. Chris's comments prompted me to read it to see what all the fuss was about.

Personally, I have to heartily disagree with this:

ALWAYS provide text links for linking to your site. Avoid image links.

Google does index image links, but without any text for it to index, it won't help your link popularity rating for your important keywords.

In my experience, image links are just as effective as text links when you use the same keyword phrase in the image alt attribute.

I don't like the idea of telling people that they shouldn't be using image links as they are the cornerstone of most Web pages. They're just as effective from what I've seen. I'd want to see the author's data that shows they're not as effective, when created in a similar manner as a text link.

I also feel that the article gives PageRank a lot more credit than it deserves, but I suppose that is a matter of personal opinion.

I do agree with Chris that the piece was clearly an opinion piece based on the author's own research, and I feel that was perfectly clear. And yes, not unlike the way I write my own Advisor articles.

:eek:

Jill

#17 markymark

markymark

HR 4

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 01:36 PM

Chris,

I think you're being a little disingenuous. While this may have technically been an 'opinion' piece; if the author claims expertise, then it is reasonable to assume that the information contained in the article will stand up to scrutiny. Unfortunately, some of it doesn't. Some of what is purported to be 'fact' is wrong.

#18 omahonydonnelly

omahonydonnelly

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 04:19 PM

Just another example why this forum is so good! :aloha:

There is so much out there on SEO, that you have to find the good, reliable, resources and stick with them.

The hard part is when your client has read something like this and thinks he's right and you are wrong!

#19 markymark

markymark

HR 4

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 04:40 PM

I suspect we are going to keep on going around in circles about this, so I'll bow out now with this thought: Inaccuracies do not make for good articles, whether they are proposed as opinion or as fact.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!