• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Funny Search Criteria

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 mcanerin

mcanerin

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 09:58 PM

Hopefully I'm not out of line for starting this, but I was talking about it in a different forum and realized there are some really funny searches out there!

Have you ever been looking through the logs for a site and shook your head over some of the wierd, wacky or just plain crazy searches that actually ended up at your site?

Well, this is the place for it. Make sure you self-censor for the family crowd (Besides, the filter catches it anyway - preview your post).

I'll start: a client of mine, who prints custom t-shirts for people, has almost 60% of his hits on things like:

w*t T-shirts
teen w*t t-shirts
gay ""
etc etc etc

This guy is a major conservative "grey hair" who told me he didn't need SEO because he was getting all these thousands of hits per day, and besides, websites were useless because he was getting no sales!

I went through his logs and pointed out where his traffic was coming from - boy did he turn beet red!(I got the job) :P

#2 Matt B

Matt B

The modem is the message.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 10:03 PM

I had a client that sells silicone oil for pumps (you can start to get the idea already) :P

Anyway, he decided he wanted to manage his own Adwords Campaign. He bid on the word "silicone" with no negative words. :) and he let it run a couple of weeks before I checked his stats.

Imagine the horror . . . and the keyword referrals . . . omg

#3 deborah2002

deborah2002

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 10:05 PM

Such a coincidence you brought this up! I was checking out our searches this past Monday and came across stuff like "Monday Night Footall" and "College Applications". All this stuff on a SITE SEARCH!

On a different note, I received an order from a guy who's referrer was Google search for "how to make a bomb". That was creepy. My boss reported him.

My site is all about tickets and stuff.........how some of these people find us through the searches they conduct is WAY BEYOND me!

thanks for the fun thread!

:jumpingjack:

deb

#4 Haystack

Haystack

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 10:44 PM

My more interesting traffic revolves around Britney Spears with terms like:

britney spears navel rings
how to get britney spears body
britney spears accomplishments

Not exactly targeted to web marketing so it's a good thing it comes through natural search results.

#5 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 06:34 AM

Reminds me of a thread on another forum where someone found the following Google search in her logs:
"Photographs of life before the Industrial Revolution"...
:chef:

I've noticed we get a lot of hits from people who are looking for definitions of industry-specific terms and find our product pages for software that deals with those industry-specific phrases. I don't have time to make a little informational site for them, though. I don't think they're potential customers.

#6 Pets

Pets

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:02 PM

OK - Imagine some of the stuff I get. I have a Pet Supply site. We sell dog COLLARS, and some other things which are apparantly not just for animals... It can be quite interesting.

#7 mcanerin

mcanerin

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:08 PM

LOL - I ran a web site for a rock group called "Kiss the Midget". I can't even begin to describe the visitors searches in a public forum....

#8 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 09:01 AM

On a different note, I received an order from a guy who's referrer was Google search for "how to make a bomb".  That was creepy.  My boss reported him.

It may not be as creepy as you imagine. A bomb can be colloquial English for "a lot of money", e.g. "He made a bomb selling ice cream on the beach".

"made a bomb selling" - 5 results
"make a bomb selling" - 3 results

#9 Bernard

Bernard

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 10:08 AM

Not quite in the same vein, but I'm seeing a lot of referrals in my logs from people searching for hp2531. It turns out that a site is linking to mine with a dynamic URL where that happens to be the id number. I have no idea what people are looking for when searching for it - looking at the results page for it yeilds no clue. :eek:

#10 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 12:12 PM

Maybe it is a Hewlett Packard part number or something, Bernard?

It seems like I'm always searching for drivers or replacement parts for my collection of creaky old computers around here... I wish people would get better at optimizing their dynamic catalogs so that I can find what I need.

There is some driver site out there that comes up for every driver I want... they require a valid e-mail address for access. Drives me crazy when I know that driver is most likely available on the mfg's site somewhere and I just can't find it. :D

#11 kmtell

kmtell

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 03:18 PM

A couple weeks ago we had a few visits from someone who searched for "420". We're an ERP company. I have NO idea how they got to us. I don't even think we have 420 anywhere on our site...weird.

#12 Bernard

Bernard

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 04:25 PM

Scottie, a search on that hp term does not show any Hewlett Packard pages, although that was my first guess too. There are only ~15 results for that search.

kmtell, LOL, have you tried searching 420? Your SERP is in interesting company...

#13 kmtell

kmtell

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 07:09 PM

Bernard, I did actually try the 420 search...I got sick of trying to find where "Parity Corporation" was listed on about page 8 or 9, I think....how high do you have to be to click on a result on page 275 of the SERPs?!

#14 Bernard

Bernard

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 10:13 AM

It sounds like it's probably a robot (harvesting e-mail addresses no doubt).

Are you getting NORML spam? :D

#15 Phil CK

Phil CK

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 11:59 AM

OK, I'm sure I'm missing something as I have no idea why a search for 420 shows those results ???

Coincidently I'm result #1 for 917, but I'd kind of expect that as my sites about the Porsche 917

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!