The site has been up since 1999. This page has been up for three weeks. When I focus on it I have been able to get top 10 rankings, but now it is getting tougher and I need to focus on other parts of business.
There are links coming in from various places to the main page and forums (but we are not talking about them yet) but none to this page unless you count google (rank 31 - it needs to be better)
Keywords we have targeted are "insect collecting" and "science fair project". The first we have done all along, the second came by way of wordtracker. I don't think it is working. It will be difficult to compete againts .edu's.
You can poke around the code if you would like. I'm no expert, and I don't really want to be but note that the scripted windows are done on purpose (I know a spider cannot get in to them but I like being able to have the smaller windows so a customer can view two side by side - you know, like holding two boxes of tea bags next to each other and reading the ingredients)
The target audiences are parents/families, homeschoolers, teachers (aren't we all?) and beginning insect collectors. We are and hope those who go to our site are very interested in nature and want to learn more about it and in the long run stop trying to destroy it.
Why us, huh? Because we're nice people (go ahead and ask anyone we know). This is the one question I dislike the most. I have never been able to describe myself or my wifes/my business. Generally I tell prospective employees I am a jerk, mean, a task master, but above all understanding. No really, because we are fast? friendly? we care? I have no idea...
Usability is a huge must. I want everyone (to be able to enjoy the site but more importantly, nature. Each and every graphic, text, whatever is made by us. You know what kind of pain that is?
Purpose of the site? Oh gosh, it's in my head but it would take me forever to explain but the purpose of this page is to sell items.
If you've got design suggestions I'll listen. This is the third incantation of the store in four years. Change is good.
Note some changes that will come:
1. a small pop-up window may be included so that when you "add to cart" it opens and tells you that the item has been entered instead of going right to the cart.
2. I have played with putting a quantity field on the page but we determined it really clustered things up to much. It really depends on the day if we like it or not.
3. I think I will move "insect collecting" back to the top of the keyword list, I am having doubts about "science fair project"
4. The "Interests" links will either go to a page of links to external sites just a page with a listing of products and books that we sell in each catagory. Kind of a poor mans search page.
5. I need to find people who will link to us. If you've got suggestions...
6. I may include on each page a package tracking feature but right now it is scheduled to go on its own page. The same with a mailing list opt-in/opt-out button (I never thought I would do one but we get enough requests to do it).
OK, shoot (I'm nervous). I take everything personally but have thick skin. The site is not about us (well, that is the goal) it is for you, them, whomever... Nature! Bugs are good
Edited by don1, 22 November 2003 - 11:12 AM.