• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Site Maps

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#31 garyhall

garyhall

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 11:13 AM

I emailed Mel privately and thought I might just add this to the discussion. Mel go ahead and answer here if you read this.

I have been looking for a program that we can use to automatically generate a "site map". I have found a few, but I have no idea if there are good to use or not. I used Haystack's suggestion and went looking for examples. Then that led me to look for a product that will not only create a site map on the fly, but one that could be altered. In other words, if I don't want an alphabetical one I could choose to have the site arraigned in a category fashion or something.

I was wondering if you guys out there have some favorite product you like to use. Free is always a good price, but not a criteria for us. We need something that will give us some flexibility in the appearance design.

Our E-commerce site will have a minimum of 1,000 pages and will change regularly.

Thanks.

Warm regards,

Gary

#32 mcanerin

mcanerin

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 04:15 PM

I've been redesigning a site and had cause to take a close look at the site map and how to handle large sites.

Naturally, the reasonable person would simple replace the site map with a search engine. Of course, being reasonable is never good enough for me so I had to go think about how to make my life hard again :aloha:

I'm experimenting with "nested site maps" now. I think I just made that up - at least I haven't seen it before. Think about the Yahoo directory. Can you imagine what would happen if they put all their sections on the front page? Ouch. Instead, they organise it into departments and then provide listings and further catagories for each one. eBay, same thing.

I'm creating a site map that contains the top requested pages (easy from the logs) followed by a basic site map that will get the visitor into an area related to their search. Then they will get another site map that is now applicable to what they need. Basically a directory style sitemap.

I'll let you know if I run into useability issues, but I think it will work.

Ian

#33 compar

compar

Just Purrfect

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 04:31 PM

Ian,

I have seen site maps that look exactly like Windows Explore hard drive directory listing. Isn't that a nested, drill down type of structure? I don't see any reason this strcture wouldn't work.

#34 mcanerin

mcanerin

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 04:41 PM

That's a good idea too! I'll think on it. You are right, and it would be intuitive (for windows users, anyway) :aloha:

I think the difference between a nested site map and those huge pop out nav menus is that by nesting you can deal with way more pages and catagories. And I hate the pop out ones. You have to hover you mouse and thendrag down and hover again, and then drag over and ... well by that time I've usually jiggled the mouse too much and the menu disappears. Then I go to a different site.

The nesting would be SE friendly too, as opposed to the java / DHTML menus.

I'll post a link when I have something for comments and review. Hopefully it will help people with huge or dynamically generated sites.

Ian

#35 garyhall

garyhall

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 05:03 PM

I'll post a link when I have something for comments and review. Hopefully it will help people with huge or dynamically generated sites.

Thanks guys. I really need some help here.

Regards,

gary

#36 mcanerin

mcanerin

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 03:22 PM

We've continued this thread a little bit over here.

But it's more of a sub discussion so I don't think it's necessary to do any merging/moving yet :D

Ian

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!