• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Spammy Title Tags

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:01 PM

Go for it!

Updating your titles to something more appealing to visitors is bound to bring more potential customers into your site.

Rand's example is a huge improvement.

Rather than repeating the same words over and over, which does look spammy on some pages, this gives you more flexibility with your terms and the opportunity to introduce keywords and phrases you are not currently using, rather than repeating the same words too often.

#17 juliesjewels

juliesjewels

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Feb 24 2006, 07:58 PM)
The more I think of it, it's really not a gamble.

I've changed a zillion client's sites over the years from spammy (I mean repetitive) titles to non-spammy titles and it's only improved things, not hurt them.  Of course, we change other things at the same time, but I really don't think removing 6 or 7 instances of the same word could do anything but help.
View Post

My project this week will be to de-spam my title tags (if that is a word????????). Everyones comments here have really convinced me to go for it. goodjob.gif I think it is a step in the right direction and I'll let everyone know how it works out. Thanks again for all the posts! clapping.gif

QUOTE(maleman @ Feb 25 2006, 09:21 AM)
This probably would b a good time to do an overall update, add new pages, etc.. ....  The biggest impact I see in updates is when I monkey with links. You should always be careful when you start playing with existing links.
View Post

For me adding new pages means adding products (usually) and it is time for me to do that too. My customers look for new pieces periodically. But, what do you mean by playing with links? Do you mean you have problems when you remove some links you've got on your site linking to other sites? I'm confused by this sentence.

QUOTE(Chris B @ Feb 25 2006, 11:13 AM)
what i think should take 4 hours, can literally take 20  hmm.gif    double GRRRR
View Post

I swear that is the story of my life. I'm working on something online and my youngest daughter asks me to fix her dinner (or asks for something crazy like asking me to be a mom lol.gif ) and I say, "I'll do it in a minute, honey." Then that minute turns into an hour or more and she's already eaten junk food. HA!! I'll never win the prize for Mother of the Year. lol.gif

#18 maleman

maleman

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:23 PM

I'm confused by this sentence

This is my opinion only, don't carve it in stone.

A page's "popularity" (for lack of a better word) depends a lot on the links that lead to it.

If you change link text, eliminate links, add links, etc. it will likely affect the entire site. Page text, title, meta, and description are relative to the page. Links are related to the page and to the site.

Carefully tweaking page content, title, meta, and description ( without messing with the link text and link structure) won't have as big an impact on your site as a whole compared to tweaking text, title, meta, description, AND links.

I swear that is the story of my life

I all but gave up making time estimations. It always takes me ten times longer than I think it will. The solution to one problem usually introduces a whole new set of problems eek.gif

Edited by maleman, 28 February 2006 - 05:49 PM.

#19 livingdreams_sa

livingdreams_sa

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Feb 25 2006, 12:16 AM) View Post
They're not really "spammy" Julie, but the repetition could possibly set off red flags. I really don't know if something like that would because I just don't write titles that way, but it seems like common sense that they could.

Still, if they work for you, then there's no reason to change them.

Well, I write titles exactly in that way, i.e. "spammy" way. E.g:
london accommodation london b&b london lodging london pension in london...

On one particular and very competitive page on my site, this kind of title is more than 2 years old. It haven't triggered any red flags (yet?) smile.gif

Reasons for using "spammy" titles are:
- exact key-phrase matching (some people search for london accommodation and others for accommodation london) - it is very important.
- Instead putting lodging london in my title mentioned above, I could make another page whose title would start with lodging london - but the problem is that this new page will have lower page rank and will not be so competitive as the first page which has high PR. (And I don't want to spend time to develop the new site's PR - it is easier simply to add key-phrase to the first page's title.)

But, if I ever start to sell gold, I will never put spammy titles like this one, because it would make more damage than benefit. Customers would not have confidence to buy gold from spammy page.

...one more thing. I've read couple of times it is recommended that single page is optimized for three key-phrases, not more (or something like that). So, why not to optimize one page for 30 relevant key-phrases? The answer is probably something like following: it is difficult for single page to be competitive for too many key-phrases in the same time, and putting additional key-phrases will jeopardize page's competitivness for its main key-phrases. But, IF this is correct for highly competitive key-phrases, it is not correct for key-phrases which are not too competitive, and in the latter case there is no obstacle for single page to be optimized for many key-phrases.

#20 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:27 AM

The three per page is certainly not a hard limit Living Dreams. Though the as a general rule I've always followed the precept to work 3-5 keyword phrases into each page.

FWIW, I don't do this because of the search engines at all. Truth is they may find hundreds and hundreds of possible keyword phrases on any page they index. The reason why I stick to the 3-5 phrases per page rule is to keep the readability quotient in good shape for the Real People reading the text. Because as a general rule if you try to start working in 10 or 20 (usually closely related) phrases into a single page of copy that's a few hundred words long the page simply isn't going to read well.

#21 vsl.online

vsl.online

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:58 AM

Here's the thing: If it looks spammy, it will definitely be a spam. And you don't want that to happen right?

I suggest you change it. Less redundancy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!