• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Spammy Title Tags

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 juliesjewels

juliesjewels

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:59 PM

I've got about 180 category pages on my site with "spammy" title tags. When I wrote the title tags about 15 months ago they didn't look spammy to me but I've since seen the light!! lightbulb.gif Yesterday, in this thread Jill pointed out that one in particular looked pretty spammy. Deep down I knew that but have been scared to change them. panic.gif

What would you do.... bite the bullet and start fixing them or leave well enough alone? Some of those spammy title tags get nice listings and convert well. Hhhmm.... unsure.gif

#2 randfish

randfish

Daily SEO Show Anchor

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:03 PM

Change 'em immediately. A great title tag that draws in a higher perecentage of visitors should not affect your rankings.

If you had, say:

Necklaces, Diamond necklaces, Emerald Necklaces, Emeralds, Diamonds, Gold Necklaces, Gold

or something equally spammy, you could change to:

Necklaces in Diamond, Emerald & Gold from Julie's Jewels

That would not only convert SERP-browsers to visitors better than the spammy title, it would also instill far more confidence in visitors as they do click-through.

#3 Guest_ErinDecker_*

Guest_ErinDecker_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:57 PM

Several of our clients had old web sites that had similar spammy title tags and meta information. Over the last few years, I've slowly changed most of them (I'd say all, but just today I found 12 pages that still had spammy metas!)

So far, I haven't seen any of our clients drop in SERPs because of the change. In fact, most have improved over time.

#4 davidfromraleigh

davidfromraleigh

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 04:37 PM

Julie,

Of course, we've talked about this some on PM and without looking at all of your title tags, I suggested don't go title tag change crazy. However, if most of them are as "spammy" looking as a few that I've seen, it's not a bad idea. Make sure that the focus of the page is reflected in the title. For example, The one that Jill mentioned had Diamond Ring in it which was making me wonder why is that there among the others.

The "spammy" title tags don't look as good to potential visitors when they see the SE results. Based on the one that I rewrote the other day and the one Randfish suggeste, you should be getting a good idea. I tend to rarely repeat the same word more than twice in a title tag, try to keep the title to 10 words and about 65 characters NOT THAT ANY OF THIS is hard fast rules.

I hope this turns out well for you.

David
biggrin.gif

#5 juliesjewels

juliesjewels

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE(randfish @ Feb 24 2006, 02:03 PM)
Change 'em immediately.
View Post
Rand, that was my first thought but I'm a really impulsive person and impulse gets me in trouble occasionally so I wanted opinions from those who know much more than me. tongue.gif

Erin, thank you for mentioning the "meta information" in your response. That got me thinking I'm sure I need to look there also.

And David, yes, most of them are as spammy as the ones you've seen so far. wacko.gif But, then again, "spammy" is a subjective phrase. I mean, I'm not cramming hidden text in my pages or using obviously spammy techniques so I guess that's why I figured the title tags were alright. I know my intentions were not misguided. angel_not.gif

#6 maleman

maleman

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:40 PM

Why not just change a couple at a time before going all the way?

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 06:16 PM

They're not really "spammy" Julie, but the repetition could possibly set off red flags. I really don't know if something like that would because I just don't write titles that way, but it seems like common sense that they could.

Still, if they work for you, then there's no reason to change them.

#8 AlDugan

AlDugan

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 06:52 PM

Some of those spammy title tags get nice listings and convert well. Hhhmm.... unsure.gif

But what if changing them makes them convert even better? My vote would be to change them to something that sounds better. If you find out that they actually don't convert as well as they did before, you could always change them back...

#9 davidfromraleigh

davidfromraleigh

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:18 PM

Julie:

As you can see, you're getting some varied opinions. My original suggestion to you in PM was take it slowly and you can always change 'em back if you see a drop off. I can understand your concern if you are ranking for them.

The thread Randy started about testing could apply here ( sort of). Change a few and track 'em to see what happens. Don't forget the importance of on site Call to Actions, etc. to convert visitors to buyers which sounds like you do pretty well.

David
biggrin.gif

#10 juliesjewels

juliesjewels

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(maleman @ Feb 24 2006, 04:40 PM)
Why not just change a couple at a time before going all the way?
View Post

Because I'm weird like that.... I'm an all or nothing kind of person. It's an illness. lol.gif

QUOTE(Jill @ Feb 24 2006, 05:16 PM)
They're not really "spammy" Julie, but the repetition could possibly set off red flags. I really don't know if something like that would because I just don't write titles that way, but it seems like common sense that they could.

View Post

There's always room for improvement. But, change like this is a gamble. thinking.gif

QUOTE(davidfromraleigh @ Feb 24 2006, 06:18 PM)
The thread Randy started about testing could apply here ( sort of).  Change a few and track 'em to see what happens.
View Post

I think that testing thread does apply to me because testing is something I've always neglected.

Question: If I change a few title tags over the weekend when would you guys estimate I see movement in the SERP's (either up or down)?

I truly appreciate the feedback I've gotten here. I am grateful! appl.gif

#11 davidfromraleigh

davidfromraleigh

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:50 PM

Before you change... look at your cache date. Then, keep an eye out on the cache date change. You should see movement either way after that. However, with Google's bouncing at the moment who knows what will happen whether you change anything or not. But 'eh, go for it anyway. It's testing right?

David

#12 kid disco

kid disco

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE(juliesjewels)
Question: If I change a few title tags over the weekend when would you guys estimate I see movement in the SERP's (either up or down)?

I guess it may depend on how often the SEs are spidering through your site. I've made adjustments in ONLY the title tags before and have had pages increase 20 positions on SERPs (including Google) by the next day! yahoo.gif

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:58 PM

There's always room for improvement. But, change like this is a gamble.

The more I think of it, it's really not a gamble.

I've changed a zillion client's sites over the years from spammy (I mean repetitive) titles to non-spammy titles and it's only improved things, not hurt them. Of course, we change other things at the same time, but I really don't think removing 6 or 7 instances of the same word could do anything but help.

#14 maleman

maleman

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:21 AM

Since you're an all or nothing type of gal:

This probably would b a good time to do an overall update, add new pages, etc.. In other words, whatever you aint happy with, change it all at once and get it over with. I do that on occasion (just did it in January (took a couple weeks for 40 pages). Traffic has since improved and got some new words back in that had crapped out.

If you're doing a sitewide update, get it all done and upload all at once. You'll probably find a few errors to clean up after you upload.

The biggest impact I see in updates is when I monkey with links. You should always be careful when you start playing with existing links.

Edited by maleman, 25 February 2006 - 10:28 AM.

#15 Chris B

Chris B

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:13 PM

Because I'm weird like that.... I'm an all or nothing kind of person. It's an illness.

Julie, you are not alone in this illness tongue.gif Maybe we should form an online support group, LOL it was a tough adjustment at first realizing i cant accomplish everything i want in my time frames. what i think should take 4 hours, can literally take 20 hmm.gif double GRRRR

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!