• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Training For Seo?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 incrediblehelp

incrediblehelp

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 08:26 PM

Hello everyone I am new to this forum. Nice work Jill it is very clean and easy on the eyes!

My question is this, does anyone else run a small SEO that is a one man shop? That is what I am doing now and having great success at it, but I would like to hire some web designers to do some SEO. Have any of you had success at hiring and then training someone to do SEO form scratch. I would think the best way to learn is through self teaching. I live in Ohio which is not a hotbed for SEO experts.

Thanks for any input in advance.

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 09:14 PM

Hey Jaan- Welcome :cheers:

I edited your sig file slightly so it would fit on two lines. :applause:

If you are good at teaching, definitely hire someone to work with you. I think a college student who knows html and is willing to learn would probably be a good way to start.

You can also partner with other SEO's to trade referrals or do subcontracting.

#3 Matt B

Matt B

The modem is the message.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 09:35 PM

I live in Ohio which is not a hotbed for SEO experts.

You may want to check around - you may be surprised at the number of SEO's in Ohio. Danny Sullivan even commented on the numbers from Ohio at the last Boston Conf. . . :P

Also, your best bet for hiring and training an SEO is probably best evaluated by how you want them to work. If you want simple "grunt work" coding, them someone with a good knowledge of HTML will suffice. If you are looking for more marketing, copwriting and analysis, then obviously, you would need a much more in-depth skill set.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 09:48 PM

Welcome, incrediblehelp. Nice to see you! :P

Jill

#5 incrediblehelp

incrediblehelp

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 12:22 PM

Yes, I just get the feeling that most of us are self taught and their is no easy way established to teach SEO properly. I think this all goes back to everyone conducting their SEO business differently. I guess it would be like asking Emeril to teach me how to cook exactly like him.

#6 kmtell

kmtell

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 11:00 AM

I'm a college student working for a small software company. I fell into SEO because I'm the only one here with time to learn and apply techniques. A college student with good writing skills and some html knowledge would probably pick up on SEO pretty quickly. Just hand 'em a stack of Jill's newsletters and give him/her a week to read. :read:

#7 Denyse

Denyse

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 09:20 AM

I have been studying web site development at night for the past three and a half years at our local community college.

We learned pretty much zip about SEO, and after designing a site for a customer, he asked me to optimise it.

So my summer project has been to educate myself, and I discovered I love it.

Everybody and his dog are now self styled web site creators (good and bad, knowledgeable or not), so I decided to specialize. This forum has been a godsend.

I now have a potential client (still have to do my pitch next week hopefully) who designs sites and wants someone to SEO.

My problem is how to bill. So I think I will create a new topic about this.

See you there.

Denyse :lmao:

#8 patrickh

patrickh

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 09:28 AM

Yes, I just get the feeling that most of us are self taught and their is no easy way established to teach SEO properly.  I think this all goes back to everyone conducting their SEO business differently.  I guess it would be like asking Emeril to teach me how to cook exactly like him.

I started by getting a job at a website a few years ago doing data entry. They were interested in having someone learn how to do "search engine indexing" and not had much luck hiring out any companys to do it, so they asked me to basicly just read some forums an hour a day and meet with the webmaster every week and just discuss what I learned. Slowly that evolved from me doing it just an hour a day, to be doing it half of my time, eventually to that becoming my full time job.

I think most people will agree in saying that search engine marketing is really not that hard, but for me it took about 9 months of just casual reading information to finally get that hunch, the one that gives you the ability to read something and say "wow, thats something worth trying!" or "man thats total bs.". There is so much information out there, the key is just sifting the good from the bad, and if you do not have someone training you directly it can be difficult.

If you are trying to learn it yourself, you are correct being self taught is really the only good way to learn IMO. If you are trying to hire someone to learn it for you, just look for someone that has the desire to learn and I think you will be fine, just be patient with them and give them ample time to learn.

:lmao:

#9 TBroadfoot3rd

TBroadfoot3rd

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:19 AM

“You can also partner with other SEO's to trade referrals or do subcontracting. “

Yes, there are lots of “us” free lancers around the world that can do both SEO and web site design and coding. To some of the one-person shops such as mine we take the overflow of other shops as subcontractors on a per project basis. This keeps us busy without having to do the overhead thing of attracting customers, shock of all shocks, some of us understand that selling services is not our forte but putting good solid sites out or optimizing sites are where you shine.

“Also, your best bet for hiring and training an SEO is probably best evaluated by how you want them to work. If you want simple "grunt work" coding, them someone with a good knowledge of HTML will suffice. If you are looking for more marketing, copwriting and analysis, then obviously, you would need a much more in-depth skill set.”

I also suggest checking “the letting go thread” as well. Good points on handling the difficult task of letting others perform their functions without stifling their own way of doing things and still getting a quality product out the door for your customer. The SEO (marketing, copyrighting, analysis included) and coding can be done in a manner where you are the final arbiter of what gets shown to your customer and with the right timelines involved the sub-contractor or hired hand will have the project in on time and under budget if there are no snags along the way. The snag unraveling becomes your chief function when dealing with the sub-contractor or the hired hand allowing them to produce which in turn allows you to generate more customer contacts that then feed your sub-contractor and hired hand. Love that cycle that keeps everyone working at their tasks that suits them best and give the customer base good solid quality at a price that is reasonable for the effort exerted.

“most of us are self taught and their is no easy way established to teach SEO properly”

Yes, I would agree with that comment. Many have come from such diverse backgrounds that just being in this forum gives you a panorama of different methods to approach concepts and ideas. That allowed to have an exponential effect on how a person will put a project together using techniques that up till a week ago may not have been known or just hazy enough to not try. Then you read a comment or article and the light goes on bringing you another angle and/or tool to use to make yourself better.

Welcome to the forum and good luck in finding those sub-contractors or hired help to make your customers happy.

As always YMMV

:aloha:

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!